I want to build a Whisper gun need a few ideas

Shawn,

What is your favorite caliber? I was thinking of building up a survival-backpacker type rifle. Use one of my small Titanium actions, 16" bbl ect. Maybe a takedown version to carry on my ATV.

Dave

If I was building a shorter barreled rifle takedown, I think I would scout scope it and make it 308 Win. Ammo available anywhere, etc. The 308 seems to outperform many calibers with short barrel lengths. It is kind of boring but very practical in a utilitary way.

The 300 whisper is a short range rig, 100-150y max because of the extreme drop of the subsonic round. Very quiet but not all that useful for a whole lot. My whisper is in AR15 form, it can be useful when full power loads are used and be kept subsonic for poppin yotes quietly at night vision range with an aimpoint.

you can dial up for the shots at 3-400 yrds just like you do at 1 k.

at the muzzle it has 734 ft lbs energy and zeroed at 100 it takes 25 moa to get to 250 and still has 500 ft lbs energy.

using a muzzle velocity of 1050 and a b.c of .750

looking at using 300 grain bullets what barrel twist would i use? Could i try 350 bullets? what twist rate for them? would it over spin the lighter ones? i want to have this built i just need someone to work with me. i never worked with a slow heavy round like this before.

e-mail shawn he can answer all your questions.

when i was interested in a 338 wisper i looked into the 1-7 twist because it would stabilize the lighter bullets as well as the heavier ones.

With the slower speeds a 1-8 is good insurance. You can not hardly over spin the lighter bullets at the velocity the Whisper case drives them.

BD 408,

I kind of misunderstood your question. Of the whisper line the 338 is my personel favorite. Two loads are of interest, the 300 gr SMK of course at subsonic levels and the 180 gr ballistic tip load. Between the two it makes the rifle do alot.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts