I thought I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, a happy young ladie looking forward to a great evening and living in a happy home is much better than looking at a couple of dumb stretched out cases (heck, we all know what they look like:D).

Did the same thing the other day when temp jumped to high 80s from mid 60s while I was setting up (yep, that's Idaho for ya!) finally got some primer pocket createring in the 270 AM. Only had to tap the bolt handle bad just a little:rolleyes:)

I don't want to be a smart a** but you had better get it worked out soon just to keep the young fellas beat down a little ha ha

I like to use the extreme powders when I can for this very reason they too very but not as much it seams.

Rh

I must be losing it cuz the pictures i see are of a gentleman with a nice deer in his hands and a lovely lady descending a staircase. Is this what I am supposed to be looking at?gun)

I've had the same experiences with blc-2 with my 204 ruger. I changed to one of Hodgens extreem powders, (h335) and no more problems.
And, by the way, beautiful daughter you have there. Guard her close.

Sorry Coyboy, I was out of town on vacation for a week. Sorry about the picture, my daughter's camera that I'd been borrowing can't focus that close. Extraction was tight. The case head was overblown that I have a hard time removing the case from the bolt. The case head wedges itself around the bolt rim with the extractor claw holding the case. The primer was nowhere to be found. Talked to Hodgdon technical support and was told that any sphirical powder irregardless of brand has a tendency to have higher pressure when subjected to higher outdoor temperature. My load development was done during winter and I'm confident that it will still be good during summer since I'm still 2 grains below the listed maximum. Boy was I wrong. Hodgdon told me that it probably reach 70,000 psi. This was an eye opener for me. I'm using Federal Gold medal Brass, Federal Match primer, 45 grains of BLC-2 and 168 grain Nosler J4 Competition match bullet. COL 2.796

Something isn't like you thought it was. I don't know what isn't, but something isn't. I'm basing that conclusion on the following analysis.

That load (.308Winchester, Nosler HPBT J4 bullet seated for 2.796 COL, 45.0g BL-C2) models in QuickLOAD at 53,975 psi which is well below max (60,191 psi) even at +122F (the hottest setting available in QuickLOAD). At 90F it the predicted pressure is 50,802 psi, and at 60F it's 48,089. That's enough margin that I don't see how you could have had what you think you had in usable brass and gotten even the faintest hint of over pressure.

So something was not "as designed".

The usual suspects in a case like this:

A different powder than you think you had - lot to lot variatons shouldn't cause a problem for the load described. Even H335 "probably" wouldn't show signs at that weight. I have to move up the list to H322 or faster powders to get pressures over 70,000.

Brass that's too long so there is neck constriction but you should have felt that when chambering.

A cartridge that didn't get the bullet fully set back to the proper COL so it's jamming in the lands but in this case you would still not be much over max, or recoil from previous shots moving the bullets forward.

A fast powder like a handgun powder left in the trickler by accident so several tenths of a grain of that powder (It wouldn't take much of something like W231) got into the load.

Or similar almost freak circumstances.

There are probably more but I don't see how the load you think you had, loaded into brass that wasn't defective, could have caused any pressure signs at any outdoor temperature you are likely to have encountered - so something was different. I don't know where Nosler got their 70,000 psi number form but I can't get anywhere even close to that number for your load.

A freind of mine brought over a motor cycle that wasn't running - it was a little two cycle Yamaha 50cc bike - his daughters desert bike (this was in the early 1970s). He told me all the things he'd checked. So I ran it up on my motor cycle service ramp (I had 7 of them at that time - 5 dirt bikes and 2 street bikes) and started to take the float bowl off the carb to check for a plugged idle jet. He said, "I've already checked that". I said, "Herb, if everything you said was OK, was really OK, it would run. So I'll start here because it's the easiest thing to check and I can already see fuel dripping so I know the filter isn't plugged and it makes a firing noise so there is spark. The idle jet was plugged solid. Cleaned it out and the thing ran just fine.

Fitch

Last edited:
I've had the same experiences with blc-2 with my 204 ruger. I changed to one of Hodgens extreem powders, (h335) and no more problems.
And, by the way, beautiful daughter you have there. Guard her close.
hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.But I'm pretty sure h335 ,is not an Extreme powder,,SO BE CAREFUL
I'm gonna check the hogdon site now,,

You might be right about it not being an extreem powder, I'll check on that, but I haven't had any problems with temp sensitivity. And your right, be careful with any recomened powders/loads.

You might be right about it not being an extreem powder, I'll check on that, but I haven't had any problems with temp sensitivity. And your right, be careful with any recomened powders/loads.
but on another note,,,lol,,,I use h335 in my stevens 223 rem,and did my load development this past summer,,and thought I would shoot it this past winter,in much colder temperatures,just to see how it shot,,,and as far as I'm concerned,,nothing changed,still sub moa,still same point of impact,,,note though,I only shot it at 100 yards,,it might have been a different if I went a little further out

Sorry about the picture guys. I didn't know where the mixed-up was. Probably from the photobucket. This thread is old! I meant to post a picture of the case but somehow I inadvertently posted my buddy and my daughter's prom picture. I don't even have the picture of the case anymore.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.