I suppose I better build one...

I have been thinking and I suppose I had better build an AR while they are still legal. I am thinking along the lines of the radicals and want one with some fire power. so I am thinking 308 for several reasons. cheap to reload for lots of them around and can do some damage if need be. I hope to never need it for the purpose I am building it for but I think I should have one just the same. Here is that I am thinking. I want a highly accurate and dependable compact set up. something that can e packed around or thrown in a pack of some sort. Dependability is key. I am thinking a flat top reciever but not set on it. I would like to put a scope on it but also have the ability to fall back on a secondary type of sights. I know very little about ar's so someone give me an idea of where to start. I would like to do a custom barrel unless there is someone out there that sells an accurate pre barreled upper. I am all ears!I will be slowly buying this in parts and do not want to skimp on anything.
If you are eyeing a personal defense weapon, an AR10 is the wrong platform. a civilian legal M4 copy is the perfect ticket. If you want something a little more sporting, something with a 20 inch barrel will let you reach as far you care to shoot and still be quite handy. Mine has a 20 inch national match barrel and with the correct ammo can hold practical accuracy at 800 yards. The are so many ways you can outfit an AR type rifle that you will get a head ache sorting though all the different options. Thats half the fun. And if you think 308 is cheap to reload, wait until you see how cheap you can load 223. Also, as a personal defense weapon, at any range you can articulate to a jury of your peers your life was in danger, a 223 will turn your insides to jelly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.