I put in for Utah spring bear--Update, didn't draw

sambo3006

I put in for a Utah spring bear tag. Hopefully I draw, I have a buddy who runs a pack of hounds for bears and lions. I've bowhunted bears twice over bait in Ontario and seen a total of one little bear that I passed up so I'm ready for a change of scenery. It ought to be a hoot chasing a pack all over creation on the trail of a big footed bear, hopefully with a body and head to match.

If I don't draw, I'll be looking at my options for a fall rifle hunt, most likely Montana or Idaho. I want a bear in the worst way! Good luck to all of you guys hunting bears this spring!

Re: I put in for Utah spring bear

Killed my first bear when I was 22 years old by hound hunting. Would never do it again. Not much sport in walking up to a tree and blowing a bear out of it. Since then I have killed 6 more by spot & stalk. That is how I have learned to really hunt bears. Bait & hounds will not teach you how to bear hunt. Last year I logged 115 miles of hiking for bears in 2 states. Seen 6 black bears & 1 grizzly. Killed a blonde phase bear in Idaho but did not get my WY bear. I will buy the same 2 tags this year. When you can sit and watch bears without dogs or bait you are seeing them in their undisturbed world. To me it don't get no better. My wife was hunting with me 2 years ago and her weapon of choice is a very nice Cannon camera. She got about 40 pics of a nice brown phase black bear at about 45 yards. I could have killed it since it was the last week of our spring hunt but the photos meant more to me. Hopefully Idaho will get rid of hounds and bait and make it like Montana where you can only spot & stalk.
Just my opinion, not wanting to start arguments.
Kirk

No offense taken, Kirk! We talked a little last year about spot and stalk hunting if you remember. I've seen several bears while hunting deer and elk in Colorado and have been under 100 yds of them on a couple of different occasions. It was awesome, just wish I'd had a tag at the time. I wouldn't pay an outfitter for a chase hunt but my friend the hound guy offered to swap me a bear hunt for a whitetail hunt so I'm taking him up if I draw the tag. If I don't draw the tag and go to ID or MT it will be spot and stalk all the way.

No love for me in the Utah draw, dang it. I'm looking at my options for a spot and stalk hunt for this fall. Since it will most likely be just me traveling out I may be looking at a guided hunt as I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go solo in unfamiliar rugged country. Plus I haven't skinned a bear before and don't want to risk ruining the hide. Any suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts