I need to remove some moly...

AtownBcat

So i bought 100 amax bullets and missed the fact on the box(yes i know, its right there on the label) that they were moly coated. I found a couple of threads where different one talked about removing the moly but never got a detaild description of how to do this. So how can i get the moly off the bullets??

The easiest way that I use is to run them in a tumbler (Tipped bullets or hollow points only, soft points deform) is to run them in a tumbler over night with untreated walnut media. It cleans them up pretty good. You will still have a lightly dimpled finish where the manufacturer applied the moly coating. It's put on by being tumbled with steel BB's. The jackets will also be slightly discolored, but the moly is gone.

I had to remove all of the moly off of my bullets after I realized that I wasn't getting any useful benefit out of my hunting rifles. I still use it in my Varmit rig.

Dan

Thanks for the reply.

I have a question for you...Do you ork up a load just for these or do the retain the same characterics as the regular 168 gr a-max?

Last edited:
Have used moly for years but now only use it in high volume varmint rounds that see a couple hundred rounds a day and even then only in certain barrels(some like it and other will not do well). Dawn dish soap will remove it from bullets fairly well and reduces the time need for tumbling.
Usually moly makes it a whole different bullet as far as reloading goes. You will have to run more powder to get the same velocity and it changes the harmonics considerably.

I guess what i should have ask was after you have removed the moly if they woul act just like any other non-moly amax or would the dimples and so forth make them sorta in the middle.

They are good to go like other Non-Molyed bullets. and they will function just the same.

The Slight dimpling that you will see is like a very light matte finish that you would find on a stainless steel barrel. The tumbling helps polish the jacket and smooths them out some too. That's why I reccommend it as well.

As Mach V indicated, Dawn will also take it off. There are other solvents that work too. I just prefer to tumble to take it off. For the reasons I indicated above.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.