I need to push a 180g 30cal over 4000fps what are my options

I haven't tried a fast twist 50 BMG but it sounds like a fun project. I've shot 55 grain 224 bullets at over 4250 FPS in sabots from a 10" twist 300 Win Mag. With the larger bore barrel life is much improved.

What kind of accuracy did you experience with the sabots?

30 caliber, 180 grain @ 4000 fps, I'll believe it when someone's been able to do it. Enjoyable and interesting read.

30 caliber, 180 grain @ 4000 fps, I'll believe it when someone's been able to do it. Enjoyable and interesting read.

Careful, I believe you said close to the same thing when I stated that I wanted to run a 130g out of a 6.5X47 lap imp at 3000fps with 45g of powder. And it happened with no trouble. Don't scoff, it can make you look silly.

Steve

Steve, there was no mocking or ridicule in my post so not to worry about scoffing. Didn't say nor am I saying it can't be done sometime in the future. Just a statement of fact. That when it happens I'll believe it. Hope somebody does it soon.:)

What kind of accuracy did you experience with the sabots?

I was using the 55 grain saboted 300 WM to test the ability of small arms bullets to penetrate armor plate to be used on an experimental armored car. The armor being tested was a 6" x 18" x 1/2" plate of Heflin "Armor Gard". I had no trouble hitting the plate at 25 yards but I did not test it further for accuracy. I doubt it would win any benchrest matches. The little jacketed lead bullet left a hole though the armor by shearing out a 3/8" ragged cylinder of the armor which still had enough energy to be dangerous, but only a trace of the bullet itself penetrated the armor.

Last edited:
The little jacketed lead bullet left a hole though the armor by shearing out a 3/8" ragged cylinder of the armor which still had enough energy to be dangerous, but only a trace of the bullet itself penetrated the armor.

Dang! I guess it's true that velocity plays a big role in bullets ability to penetrate steel. More so than bullet weight. I've read and heard over the years that the speed burns/torches through the steel. But I wouldn't have bet on a 55 grain bullet blowing through 1/2" armor resistant steel.

You may be best off running gs custom bullets trying to get something like this done. As far as barrel life goes i could build up one that would last close to if not more then 2000 rounds.

2000 rounds plus with a 30 cal at 4000 fps? I dont think there are too many people here that will bite on that one Mr. Lawton.

No disrespect for the members of LRH, but I had my fill of this clown over on Snipers Hide. HMMMM, come to think of it so did they. Sorry for the hijack

2000 rounds plus with a 30 cal at 4000 fps? I dont think there are too many people here that will bite on that one Mr. Lawton.

No disrespect for the members of LRH, but I had my fill of this clown over on Snipers Hide. HMMMM, come to think of it so did they. Sorry for the hijack

Dang it! There is a WHOLE BUNCH OF US standing around enjoying the thread and you go and pee in the campfire! Optimism and thought provoking are common traits here. I would like to hear more about the different nitriding processes and 5r barrels,
what ever to reach toward the 4k 180 grain goal in a 30. Rebated boat tails and ribbed bullets? Better powder? Forward ignition? wildcat 50bmg?? This was just getting fun, lets here it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.