I need to change my 300 rem mag

damon murdock

Well first off i am really enjoying reading all different post on this website great info.
Well i have a 300 rem mag i need to do some mods on it because i am in a wheelchair and the gun is to heavy in and i am not able to hold it up very well because my stomach muscles do not work anymore. So i am wondering am i able to shorten the barrel on it to help me be able to hold it up better? Also the gun kicks so hard is there anyway of changing that? I have heard of a muzzle break. I could use some info these changes i would like to do with my gun.

thanks

damon murdock Idaho Falls Id

You can shorten the barrel as much as you like keeping in mind legal limitations, also the shorter the barrel the more velocity you will loose. a muzzle brake will greatly decrease recoil also

You can also find someone who has the skills to reload and have them work you up some lighter loads. You will need to tell them what you plan to do target shoot, hunt, etc. I work up loads for my 300 that are light enough for my girls to hunt with. They weigh in about 100 lbs not very strong to boot but take deer at ranges to 200 yards with no problem and light recoil. I use 150 gain barnes bullets for this round which does a very nice job on deer. I also shoot a 308 which has a 22" barrel and very light recoil shoots well to 500 yards with factory loads not a hard kicker and weighs next to nothing you may want to consider going this way. If you go with a muzzle break please be sure you use very good ear protection the report will be very load.

Good luck and happy shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.