I need suggestions for a more clearly identifiable LR Target.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I need suggestions for a more clearly identifiable LR Target.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are setting up for our .408 Chey-Tac Evaluation Test. I set up a range to 2500 yds. yesterday. I used a full Redfield target with a four inch flourescent border and ten inch white border background. This has worked well for me at 1000 yds. At 2500 yds. I see a white spot and some blurry orange. It is not clear enough for accuracy. I tried a 16X Mark IV and a 8.5 x 25 Vari X III modified 2X to 17 x 50X. It does not matter as it seems on most days we will be only able to use 15-20 X due to mirage. Dean Michealis who is coming to shoot suggested trying a 1 ft black dot on white background.
What have you used succesfully at extremely long range for aimpoints? Thanks

[email protected] http://www.lostriverballistic.com

[This message was edited by Warren Jensen on April 12, 2001 at 07:57 AM.]

posted April 12, 2001 07:22 AM

Warren Jensen

No need for perfection here men.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a few days to test out your ideas. I will get back to you with what works best.
I just need some ideas.

posted April 12, 2001 09:47 AM

Steve Shelp

Warren,
For competition we used either black/white or blue/white for good contrast. The blue works a lot better to see "doubles" in competition. Other than that I don't think it has any more advantage over the black. But most important to me is the "white" paper isn't white. It's more like a really light tan colored I guess you could call it. This reduces glare and gives really good contrast between the blue or black scoring rings and aiming points. I guess for a quick fix in the field I would spray paint your "white" background some off flat color, then put your aiming "black" on top.
It also just hit me that your were a military man. If you remember the target paper they used then, it's the same stuff that is being used in all 1000yd BR disiplines.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Steve

posted April 12, 2001 09:56 AM

Dave King

Warren
I shoot a lot of steel targets painted white. The white shows well and I can quarter the target. Perhaps a 4 x 4 foot plywood sheet with a 1 foot black border and a white center.

The Leupold tacticals I've used had heavier reticles and that made it difficult to center on a smallish target. 500 yards using a Leupold M3LR and the reticle hides a groundhog sized object.

posted April 12, 2001 10:03 AM

Warren Jensen

Results of LR target test.
We completed a test yesterday afternoon, 12th. We used two different backgrounds, white and tan, and cut out circles 21", 15", 12" and 9" in black and blue. We compared them at 2500 yds. through a 17X scope. The larger circles were all identifiable down to 12" then it became noticeably more difficult. The white seems to offer more contrast than the tan and the black circles seemed to have a very slight edge over the blue. We also tried them at closer ranges and decided to use a 1" square for more precise aiming at closer ranges.
Our choice was a 12" black circle on white background with 1" aiming squares in the middle.

Thanks for your suggestions.

posted April 13, 2001 07:20 AM

Thats a long ways optics have a lot to do with it. weather to any type of haz or lots of heat are going to cause you trouble. Have at .

Warren, I started useing Leopold targets, the ones with four black 2" squares at the corners with 2" of white running vertical and horizontal between them, but past 500yds I use ones I make just like them but have 6" squares and 6" wide white stripes between them. That works well out to 1000yds with my 3.5-10 Leopold. Beyond that, no idea, good luck though.

I do a fair amount of iron sight shooting at 200-300 yrds. For sighting-in purposes I have found that a blaze orange square (or circle) on a black background works quite well for iron sights. However don't know how this would work for a scope. I buy the materials from an art supply store. They have colored sheets of material that's a fairly thick cardboard substance. Stands up fairly well in the field. Additionally your light source is crucial. For ideal purposes the sun should be at your back and shining directly down on the target. The very best sighting conditions I've ever had was at night when we put a set of truck lights shining on the target. The target just comes screaming through your scope then; just don't shoot the truck.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.