I need help.

Caleb85

Hi my name is Caleb, im 28 and live in the sticks, I'm from northwest Missouri, I'm trying to get into this long range shooting and hunting. I have two rigs that I have put together and I would like feedback on what I have, what you would change,add or take away I have the full rang of getting to 1200 yards and easy access . I am a third Generation reloader and have the ability to Create a load for any of my rifles that I would consider " Accurate" . Now for the rigs..Rig #1 remington 700 sendaro (old school) 7mm mag bought new 13 years ago, on top is a leupold vx3 6.5-20x50mmLR with a duplex,this rifle is Extremely Accurate !! 65 grains of 4831SC and a 150gr. Nosler BT, WLR primer. This round is cruising at about 2780 fps and at 100 yards, three shots Measure .354. Rig #2 remington 700 sendaro ( even older then rig #1) in 300 win mag. My wife bought this one for me used low round count. On top of her is a leupold vx3 4.5-14x50mm with a 1/4 min dot. I am not quite done developing a load for this one but so far I've got 70 gr. of 4831SC 180 gr. nosler BT WLR primer, three shot at 100 yards Measures .777. There ya go that's what I have. Tell me something I need to hear. Should I be trying burgers? I would like to understand my Turrets better, should I look into different reticals, (is there an easy to use one). Thank you for y'all's time.

65 grains of 4831sc in the 7mm Rem Magnum behind a 150 grain is hot and would be going faster than 2780 fps. in longer barrel anyway . For long range work you may want to look into using a mil dot or mil hash marked reticle combined with mil turrets or if you are more comfortable with MOA . A MOA hash marked reticle with 1/4 MOA turrets . The main thing is that the turrets adjustment system match the reticles subtensions . Look at the reticles supplied by Vortex scopes they are uncomplicated and easy to use .

I may be off on the fps, sorry. I don't want to change scopes but is there a company that I can send all my info to and scope and they can make reticals to fit my rifle and my needs?

There are a few companies now that will custom cut you a turret to match your loads. Leupold custom shop is one, Huskemaw is another I've only seen their commercials online and looked at them a little all the reviews seem great and they're a small manufacture too +1 for the little guys. If you want to stick with what you've still got just practice practice practice. The other scopes might be faster and have an easier learning curve but, you can do what you want with what you've got. As far as changing bullets and all that, if you've got a load your rifles like stick with it. There will always be a little wiggle room with any load that will turn out better at certain ranges than others. I've got a couple factory barreled guns that love and I mean love berger bullets and one that hates them for whatever reason. Don't mess with more than one variable at a time or you will be chasing your tale and be fed up in a hurry. You can also laminate a little cheat sheet for trajectory/wind and tape it to your gun, I've got one for each of my rifles and I helps if you change what you're hunting or which rifle you use as often as I do. This is a cheap and easy fix to your situation sometimes they're the best solutions. My dad always harped at me anytime I started to mess with my set ups, "If it's not broke don't **** with it".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.