I need barrel help for a suppressor issue.

sdkidaho

I've got two Weatherby Vanguards, a .257 and a .300 WSM.

I bought a suppressor and it is a 5/8-24 thread. I'm having trouble finding a gunsmith with a lathe that can handle these 24" barrels to be able to cut them back far enough to do the thread work.

Suppressor: Archangel 30 Cal 9.25? Titanium Suppressor | Templar Suppressors, Customer Precision Rifles

The smith would have to cut the barrel back a bit to get enough thickness to make the proper thread size. He is a very good gun smith, and we even checked with another smith in the area. Both have the same issue, in that their lathes cannot go as short as needed with the 24" barrels.

Even then if they could, it would be to cut threads to add a collar to which that collar would have the correct sized threads as the barrels just do not have enough material to make the 5/8-24 threads without cutting off a lot of the barrel.

Do I need to find a different gunsmith with the equipment needed?

Do I need to replace the barrels with ones that are big enough in diameter that they wouldn't need to be cut back as far as the stock ones?

I hate to replace new barrels, but I want to be able to use the suppressor...

If the answer is to replace the barrels, what would any of you recommend? And have I given enough information for recommendations to be made?

Well you could do a little jerry rigging. I've seen guys doing a thread adaptor to get enough materal to have a 5/8x24 thread.

You can buy these thread adaptors on line at several places. They are for those pencil hunting barrels. They go from 1/2x28 to 5/8x24.

1/2-28 to 5/8-24 Adapter | Silencer Shop

guys use these on their AR's to run a 30cal can on their 223's.

Just an Idea.

Deano

I wouldn't either brother, I can't blame you for that. A baffle strike is certain disaster.

Speaking for myself, Knowing that I was jerking the barrel off for threading anyway, i'd buy a new quality barrel. Just makes more sense to me. If it really isn't in the financials then yes, start contacting REPUTABLE gunsmiths (like the sponsors we have here) & do a little cussin' & discussin'. I can't see it being difficult to find a 'smith with necessary equipment.

t

Thanks - I appreciate that advice.

I just don't know enough about it all, as in what barrels to even look at, etc. I'll start doing some research on that.

Thanks again.

I picked the rifle up yesterday. He said another issue is that it's a Howa so it's metric, so even if his lathe could handle the shorter barrel he'd have to re-setup his lathe due to it being metric. He made it sound like there weren't a lot of options because of it being that Howa action in metric.

Am I hosed? I really like these rifles. Didn't really want to replace both of them...

You're not hosed at all. It sounds like you might need to contact a different gunsmith. Plenty of custom rifles are built on the Howa action, metric threads don't hurt anything.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.