I know a secret...

Ian M

Any idea what new cartridges are coming for 2005? Big Red has two, not sure about Big Green yet tho but hear that they also have something coming.
Will let you guys in on some info shortly, going to shoot something this coming week that is quite interesting. Was told "If I tell you - I have to kill you..." a few weeks ago. But now the press releases are being written and some lucky dudes are going to play...

Just for fun - what do you think Winchester might be coming out with for 2005?
Any guesses for Remington?

i heard that winchester might release
a 2.5 inch length short mag case.. i
think first will be in .338. i cant remember
what other calibers it will be in. I have also heard that hornady is working on a smaller .17 centerfire.. THey were messing
with the .30 carbine case.. i know james
calhoon had just made a .19 caliber based
on that case.. He is going to offer formed
brass for 22 cents each..

[ 09-13-2004: Message edited by: speed demon ]

Remington - Maybe a 6.5 SAUM and / or a 338 SAUM. Probably wishful thinking.

Please let us know when you can tell us without having to kill us.

I am hoping sako is right. Someone other than sako (not knocking sako, just want a different configuration) needs to chamber a rifle in 6.5-284. Yes, I love the thought of the 6.5 SAUM.

[ 09-13-2004: Message edited by: shilen30 ]

Hornady also makes 6.5-284 brass.
I keep hearing that the SAUM is titters.
One of the new cartridges is NOT a WSSM necked down to .204, but would that be a screamer!

Well, I'll bet on a 6.5 WSM from Win and Rem has the 6.8 SPC, right? So, I'll say if Win does a 2.5" case with the .555" base, we'll have some excellent fodder for the gunmags to spill ink about. A 416 or 458 in this config would win the hearts of qutie a few African dreamers, and give us all something to do with that Mauser action in the closet.

Remington is kind of stuck, case-wise, because they can't reasonably go any bigger, and to go smaller would be in some way to concede the idea that the RUM case is too big. It would be a trick to say the least, to pull off the successful marketing of a smaller case in 308-375 caliber without hurting their RUM sales.
And short actions have pretty much all they need or can take from the 308 case up to the WSM.

Maybe Remington will hype up a rifle built around the SPC, in a light "deer hunter" configuration. Maybe titanium.
A 110g (or whatever it is) at 2800fps from a 22" bbl, in a gun that weighs 6# all-up, for under $1k. That's marketable.

Let's hope that one of these GIANTS has the common sense to make legitimate the 6.5/284 on the N. American continent. All other cartridges can wait!
wink.gif

I would like to see a .33 or .35 SAUM from Remington with a HS-Stock, a SS fluted light weight tube and a titanium reciever with a total weight of like 5.25lb for under a 1000$ .35 SAUM would be so sweet
grin.gif
I know, I know, I have a better chance in seeing GOD. It's nice to dream!!
smile.gif

Why doesnt Win grow a set and come out with a full size WSM case in a 6.5, 257, and 6mm and give some of us what we want. Smoking velocity.
grin.gif

I wished Winchester woulda pulled there head outta there butt and used the wsm case for the .257 instead of the wssm case. They woulda had another one sold. It would be right on the heels of a weatherby. Hopefully someone will come out with a super .25 magnum. Either a 25 wsm or 25 RUM would be awesome for deer. 100g at 4,000fps.

LB,
You have a dandy sense of humor - you are correct, we really need a .29 caliber for something!! Maybe they could neck the .204 Hornady up to it
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.