I just cant eat this.

Wow, not sure how I missed this gem. We kill mostly specks & snows, the specks are awesome cooked down in a gravy in a cast iron pot or slow smoked on the BGE 220°F indirect until 165°F internal. The whites we just breast out and use in a gumbo or mix into sausage.

And FTR, don't lump a coot into the diver category of table fare until you've tried them... they taste just like teal!!!

Ducks and geese are not my favorite wild game but with several tricks it is OK.

I have three kids and two of them would not eat ducks or geese, so I tried to find a way to cook
them that they could like both.

What seemed to work the best for them was to first skin the bird(Most of the wild taste is in the fat under the skin). then slice the meet in strips (Like steak fingers) and soak it in Milk or butter milk with garlic sale and a couple of eggs over night.

The next day role in flower and deep fry for 3 or 4 minutes (Do not over cook it or it will be dry.

Now I don't have any leftovers so it must be OK.

There are many good ways to cook foul and this is just the way my kids like it.

J E CUSTOM

JE if you want to take it to the next level mix a good bit cinnamon in with the flour. Fry it like you do then sprinkle with lemon pepper when it comes outta the grease. Also the best thing I find to soak the breast in is super salty water. Change it out when it gets bloody. I usually soak it for 2-3 days. It makes the duck very tender. We call it Duck a la Milam.

Nice old thread. Probably been mentioned, but I grind my geese in with elk and use a jerky shooter mix. I tell everyone its elk. Never received a complaint or been told they could taste the waterfowl.

There's a marinade recipe on Gooseforsupper that's called Armenian Marinade. Try it and you will be surprised how fast it disappears. The gamey flavor in most any wild meat comes from the blood. Of course local diet plays huge in it as well. Early season birds or birds that live off aquatic veg are always jerky or sausage material, but grain fed wild geese are awesome eating especially the lessers. Brine the meat in a heavy salt water solution for a few days and it is very good eating if you don't overcook it. I roast it and slice thinly for french dip sandwiches, I slow cook it and shred it with slow cooker sensations pulled pork seasonings for sandwiches. I jaccard tenderize whole breasts then marinade in Allegro or dales steak marinade then grill medium rare. All of it, and I mean All of it disappears before the beef does at my parties. I make rumaki out of the goose livers and save the hearts and gizzards and pressure steam them for several hours and they make outstanding meat for wintertime soups and give them great flavor. Sometimes I will even save the thighs and bone them out and grind them with 1/3 bacon and make burgers for the grill. If all else fails and we kill more than we can eat fresh, we freeze them and take them in at the end of each month to the packing house and they make fantastic summer sausage and brats.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts