I have to tell this story.

Broz

This is a worthless read, but might be worth a laugh.

Yesterday my wife held a garage sale at the storage unit where we store things we will never use again. For the life of me I still am not sure why we pay to store this stuff. Anyway, So I tossed in some hunting gear I no longer need and was manning the "man table". About mid sale this fella walked up. He was probably in his late 50's early 60's. He asked why I was selling some of the stuff. I said over the years my hunting style had changed to long range and I didn't need some of these items anymore. He then informed me that he " shoots long range " too. I said, really, thats great. He proceeded to tell me he had taken many elk over 1000 yards. Wow, now he has my full attention and I wanted to hear more. He asked me what I used to range the game with. I said, I now have a PLRF10. He said, that is a laser right. I said yes, it is a mil spec RF. He says, "I don't need a range finder" I can range with my eyes to 1000 yards with in 10 yards. " I was tested by the army many times and was certified" Really ,, I said. Then he proceeded to tell me how he had helped his buddies take elk at 1000 yards buy telling them where to hold over. I said, so, how far do you hold over at 1000 yards? He said with a .338 WM about 1/2 an elk length over it's back. Then he told me about the time he was getting ready to shoot an elk at 1000 plus and his friend said " you beter get a good rest" He says, I shoot off hand, never have needed a rest. :rolleyes: I had to end this conversation fast.

I hate to be a doubting thomas, but man.

Who am I to say? Maybe he has a very flat shooting .338 WM ?

Ya know, I may have been talking to a secret military project and it was not human at all. Heck maybe it was Lee Majors " The 6 million dollar man"

Hate to poke fun, but wow.

"Lord I appologize, and be with the starving pigmies down in New Guinea."

Broz,
I know that guy.....he used to work at the chemical plant I'm now retired from. He had the ability to tell how may gallons of product were coming out of the pipe in GPM
(gallons per minute). He knew our flow meters were off by using his "calibrated eyes".

That guys no BS, I know about that program it came out of the US Army LRBS program (long range bull shitter) after Nam. It was code named operation "long shot" and later type classified Mk1Iball(Mk-1-eyeball) for you non mil types.

They taught these guys to take other guys stories and embilish on them to entertain forign dignatarys and stuff. You know we got it and you dont type of things. Just as a distraction while we did real stuuf behind their backs.

I was just thinking, I did have a CRF 1200 in my truck. I could have called his bluff. But then what would it prove? Just would have hurt his feelings. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Good for you Broz. Some folk prefer dumb and happy. Who are we to interfere - if they mostly keep it to themselves? You might have messed this guy up (even worse) for life if you'd pulled out your CRF 1200. Good call in my book.

After a match at Millville about 30 years ago several of use were bullsxxx around about shooting offhand at 600 yeards so out comes the money had a kid in the pits pulling for us 5 rounds offhand all twenty rounds X RING so offhand at 600 is a possibility BUT 1000 NO WAY.

I was just thinking, I did have a CRF 1200 in my truck. I could have called his bluff. But then what would it prove? Just would have hurt his feelings. :rolleyes:

Jeff

I'm in one of those moods this morning. Carry over from 9/11/01, feed by a bit of December 7th, and just a bit of an attitude... Even got a bit firm :) in Sunday School class this afternoon and I'm the guy that is supposed to set the good example.....

So......break out the CRF and stomp that suckers feeling into the ground. It's too bad he has most probably already reproduced......

Mr. Roy's rant for the season. I'll now humble my self and crawl back in my man cave.......Yeah.....Right......:D

So......break out the CRF and stomp that sucker's feeling into the ground. It's too bad he has most probably already reproduced......

Mr. Roy's rant for the season. I'll now humble my self and crawl back in my man cave.......Yeah.....Right......:D

Hey Jeff,
You meet that guy again, tell him you know of a hunter that would absolutely die to learn those kinda skilz. Even pay good money! Then direct him to Roy - in Idaho of course. Tee Hee... Too funny... :D

Well, at least he shoots a 338 win mag. I was so entranced by the story that I had already jumped ahead in my mind and figured the guy was probably doing all this with a .25-06. :D:D (it's and inside joke...... we used to have a guy in out deer camp that could kill anything at any range with his "G**D*** 25-06" by holding "Just a little over his back" he never used a rest either)

Too bad some guys have all the talent and the rest of us just have to make do with our range finders, super magnums and bipods....... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.