I have a Reloading problem I need help to solve.

the photo says it all. Your not able to size the last .200" above the belt with a conventional full length sizing die. Larry's die will take you all the way down to the bottom, but still do nothing to the neck and shoulders. Don't think you are alone with this issue, as most everybody shooting belted magnums gets to this point sooner or later. Many guys simply toss the cases and start all over when there's a simple solution.
gary

Have you checked the cases for head separation, or how far back your bumping the shoulders. If your bumping them back too far each time your brass has to stretch to fill your chamber as you fire the round. Causing it to thin at the cases walls. Have you measured the case length? Could be time to trim.
Just a few things to check

This is what I suspect.
I doubt tall has his headpsace dialed and is beating the crap out of the brass every time he pulls the trigger.

Tall,
I would like to see a few pictures of the cases. The head, lower base section, neck/shoulder area.
What load are you running?

Annealing will never difficult chambering ...This is absolutely not the problem.

Have you checked the cases for head separation, or how far back your bumping the shoulders. If your bumping them back too far each time your brass has to stretch to fill your chamber as you fire the round. Causing it to thin at the cases walls. Have you measured the case length? Could be time to trim.

This is what I suspect.
I doubt tall has his headpsace dialed and is beating the crap out of the brass every time he pulls the trigger.

Tall,
I would like to see a few pictures of the cases. The head, lower base section, neck/shoulder area.
What load are you running?

Annealing will never create difficult chambering ...This is absolutely not the problem.

I have been reloading belted magnum cartridges for almost 40 years and have never had a problem with extraction or feeding. I bought the base collet die from Larry when My bud developed an issue with his rifle. His problem was a rough spot in the chamber of the barrel. A quick trip to the gunsmith and some polishing solved the problem...might be yours too come to think of it!

maybe you didn't have the problem, but there are at least fifty folks out there that have this problem, and many solved it with Larry's die. I had it with my 270mag and even my .450 marlin. No rough spots and the dies fixed the problem. An easy way to check this is to buy a needle bearing inner race from a ball bearing supply house in 13mm I.D. slide it over the case and see where it stops. Your total outlay will be very little and you now have an honest no-go gauge
gary

my favorite rifle is a 7mm rem mag. This is how I do it

every first, second, third and fourth size is a neck size then gator the primer pocket then trim and tumble clean. Every 5th load I deprime aneal, gator, FL size, trim then tumble.
My seating is to the lands -.001" I have noticed that when I go to a new box of pills the seating depth may need a minor adjustment.
Always I use federal brass (personal prefferance)

Read again what "trickymissfit" said about Larry willis "Innovative Technology" Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. One die, one step, loaded or unloaded and they will just drop in like brand new brass. Done it often

Read again what "trickymissfit" said about Larry willis "Innovative Technology" Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. One die, one step, loaded or unloaded and they will just drop in like brand new brass. Done it often

plus Larry is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He'll coach you along the way, and is always there to help you down the road. I'll always put him right in there with Ferris and Fred Sinclair as he just that good of a guy.
gary

I have one of those innovative technology dies, fortunately I have never had the need to use it. My cases always fit in the gauge end even after many many reloadings.
From his pictures there is no way to say for sure he is about to have separation or not. Take a paper clip hook the end and see if you can feel something, if you want to know for sure cut one of the cases in half, then there will be no doubts.

I am to the point were I am about to buy all new brass and start fresh. I wish I new somebody with one of these dies I could run 20 threw and see how they fit after that. I think its one thing to re-load ammo to just shoot, its another thing to re-load ammo when your trying to load for super accurate near touching, & long distance shooting 600 + yards. I don't have a way anneal my brass so I have not learned to perfect that trick or add it to my bag of tricks.

If & when I do buy all new brass I want to make sure I can keep it in the best condition and most accurate using proven methods. What method is the best when it comes to annealing the brass? Is there places I can take my brass to and have it done by some body? Maybe I need to invest in another piece of automated equipment that allows a novice to get professional results.

I have one of those innovative technology dies, fortunately I have never had the need to use it. My cases always fit in the gauge end even after many many re-loadings.
From his pictures there is no way to say for sure he is about to have separation or not. Take a paper clip hook the end and see if you can feel something, if you want to know for sure cut one of the cases in half, then there will be no doubts.

That is a good idea! I was thinking about doing that just to see if there is a story to tell there.

Out of curiosity, What would cause a brass shot in a Remington gun vs a weatherby gun do to the brass that would cause it to be to tight in weatherby? Why would resizing the brass not bring everything back to the correct tolerances? My only conclusion is some how the head of the brass is enlarged in the bolt and isn't re-sized in the resizing process.

If they were sized back to spec there should not be a problem in any saami chamber. As mentioned before check (measure) down by the belt and see if that is causing your problem. I don't load mine hot so I haven't had that problem before.

I have measured the belt, next to the belt, the neck. So far everything seems to check out. I am suspecting that maybe its in the shoulder. I don't have the correct sleeve insert to check the shoulder OAL. I am going to pick one up. Still I am not sure how to bump back the shoulder other than running it through my resizing die. In the end I may have to start out with new fresh brass and then see at what point it gives me trouble again. I am looking into annealing my brass in the future. Just another skill i will have to learn to master. I'm going to check around and see who has one of those special resizing dies I can try one out. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Update:
I went through all of my 150 brass sorting the brass by how it fits in my gun. I had about 30 that wouldn't even go in my gun without using some serious muscle to close my bolt. Those that didn't fit i set aside. 60 brass fit in my gun perfect like it is suppose to. The rest would fit but was a tight fit. I suspect that my problem is that a number of brass was mixed in with my brass in my beginning stages of learning how to reload. When the brass is re sized some were a tight fit while the brass shot in my gun was still a perfect fit. Even after some of the brass has been reloaded and shot in my gun the fire form has not been enough to create the perfect fit to my gun.

I have contacted RCBS and they told me to send them 5 brass that has been fired in my gun along with my resizing die. They are going to custom fit the die to the brass fired in my gun. I don't know if I will ever be able to re size the brass fired from other guns to be a perfect fit in my gun.

I think that my solution is to buy brand new brass and never allow other brass to be mixed in with my own. I need to find a good way to track my brass. Like how many times it has been reloaded, or the speed and accuracy of each load. Notes on any flaws or fitting issues along the way. There is a lot of things to do to create perfection in reloading and accuracy for long distance shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.