I got 3100 rounds of 22LR damp. What can I do with them?

cilbuper

Well I messed up. I had 5 1/2 bricks of the Walmart Federal 22 LG hollowpints sitting in my ammo can on my porch which is covered. The can was sitting 3-4 ft back from the edge. That night a storm blew in (I didn't hear a prediction for rain) and the rain came in almost sideways. They weren't sitting in water but the cardboard packaging got damp and there was some moisture in side the unopened boxes.

After the moisture dried off the rounds, there is a white almost chalky film where the bullet meets the casing. I'd say that 75-80% of the rounds fire, some sound a little weak, some sound louder than normal, some don't fire at all.

Is there anything that can be done with these to fix them up? Would putting them in a black ammo can in the sun (kind of bake them) help dry them out? I don't think they would get hotter that 212 degrees and I don't know at what temperature the rounds will fire.

I'd like to hear your thoughts as to what the best route is here. I guess these rounds have now been relegated to target only, bolt action only as the duds are a pain in the *** with a semi.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sounds like they are very inconsistent. You can't depend on them. I would just bury them and be done with it. If you do keep on shooting them, really pay attention to each shot. If you get a squib load, it will lodge a bullet in the bore. The only way I know to get it out is with a cleaning rod, potentially messing up a good bore. Also, it can be dangerous if you fire another round on top of a lodged bullet.

Sorry, Tom

i wouldnt trust them especially when you say they are (weak) ie the powder isnt fully burning not that it will under ideal conditions but if a caked bit of wet powder doesnt clear the barrel ot could potentially case over pressure and best case all the gas will end up in your face burning you hopefully you wear saftey glasses if not potential blindness isnt worth saving a little bit o cash worst case the barrel bulges or blows up and you have a ruined gun either way not worth it, i dont know you but i am still concerned for your safety if you must pick the best ones the least ammount of corrosion and use them, also be aware that that white gunk is oxidised lead and you are risking serious exposure by shooting them your body soaks up lead like a sponge and even can confuse inhaled lead for calcium and store it in your bone marrow and noone wants that if you see white bands in your finger nails not at the tip but but further back on the nail go to the hospital you may have heavy metal poisoning.
be smart be safe stay alive!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.