I finaly did it!!

wyomingblizzard

I am looking at a cashiers check made out to APS Rifles, that will be mailed tomorrow! Now the hard part..... the wait. I am ordering a XHS in 338AM with a 34" barrel. I have been putting in alot of trigger time, and need alot more. My range has increased greatly, in part due to what I have learned here, thanks. On the other hand I HATE this site,it gives me very expensive ideas! But what the heck, you cant take it with you. I know some will say that the Allen Mag is to big but I like driveing big blocks, regardless the cost of gas. I all ready have a daily driver (308 win) and a street rod (340 weatherby) now I will have a top fuel dragster(338am)! It is going to be tough waiting for Kirby to get it built, but they say good things come to those who wait. I think I know what glass I want, but would appreciate all sugestions and recommendations.gun)

I am looking at a cashiers check made out to APS Rifles, that will be mailed tomorrow! Now the hard part..... the wait. I am ordering a XHS in 338AM with a 34" barrel. I have been putting in alot of trigger time, and need alot more. My range has increased greatly, in part due to what I have learned here, thanks. On the other hand I HATE this site,it gives me very expensive ideas! But what the heck, you cant take it with you. I know some will say that the Allen Mag is to big but I like driveing big blocks, regardless the cost of gas. I all ready have a daily driver (308 win) and a street rod (340 weatherby) now I will have a top fuel dragster(338am)! It is going to be tough waiting for Kirby to get it built, but they say good things come to those who wait. I think I know what glass I want, but would appreciate all sugestions and recommendations.gun)
Congrats man! So you decided the AM over the raptor? Either way it will be a shooter I am sure. Elk beware!! I bet you will be in the Rawlins newspaper, headline: Man shoots and kills elk at 1500 yards! :Dgun)

Dogdinger Iam Out of Rawlins.
Riley I just couldnt resist it any longer. I realy like Kirbys raptor,but he said getting brass is a big problem. I wasnt looking for a high volume shooter so the "short barrel life" still works out to ten plus years. As far as glass I have been thinking knight force, just what model is the question. Waiting for more info on there new models, ATACR and BEAST. I think I would rather have the vortex razorhd than the knight force nxs. The only knight force I have shot was 2 diffrent nxs's and was not impressed with the glass quality, both of my vortex pst's are clearer glass.gun)

Dogdinger Iam Out of Rawlins.
Riley I just couldnt resist it any longer. I realy like Kirbys raptor,but he said getting brass is a big problem. I wasnt looking for a high volume shooter so the "short barrel life" still works out to ten plus years. As far as glass I have been thinking knight force, just what model is the question. Waiting for more info on there new models, ATACR and BEAST. I think I would rather have the vortex razorhd than the knight force nxs. The only knight force I have shot was 2 diffrent nxs's and was not impressed with the glass quality, both of my vortex pst's are clearer glass.gun)
That makes plenty of sense for going with the AM. My vortex pst is awesome, i love it. I havent looked through a nightforce but i am a bit surprised that you found the glass quality low on the ones you looked through. You going to shoot the 300 grain berger or smk?

That makes plenty of sense for going with the AM. My vortex pst is awesome, i love it. I havent looked through a nightforce but i am a bit surprised that you found the glass quality low on the ones you looked through. You going to shoot the 300 grain berger or smk?

One of my shooting buddies has the kight force scopes that I shot, we compared bothh side by side in low light and we both thought the psts were better. The knight force is about bullet proof and is known to hold up under heavy recoil. Yes I plan on the 300grn berger.

As with about anything it's the wait that is the hard part. The result of that wait will be most rewarding.

You will be the hit of the range. 34" of barrel with the Painkiller brake will certainly give it some presence. :)

I wavered a bit between the 338 and 375 offering. All things considered, I feel the 338 AM the better choice. However I went with the 375 AM which certainly put the desire for something bigger tot sleep.:)

With SMKs the difference between the 338 & 375 are a few negligible pounds of energy. Otherwise they are pretty much twins.

I had a very very long wait and. It is very satisfying to have on-hand and ready to go on a moment's notice. 2013 will be the year for the big girl. Pack goats and equipment are ready to go. I should be in good shape (no more expendable/bad) body parts to shed. :rolleyes: the only iffy part is the bull moose permit.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.