I finally got out to do some shooting

Ernie

SPONSOR
I finally got out to pull the trigger myself for the first time since May.
Well, I put about 15 rounds (200 grain Wildcat @ 2700 fps) down range with my APS 7mm Dakota XP-100 today.
My biggest problem was getting a location where I could shoot out to 1k with steel targets-Now I finally have a place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I can't use steel at my shooting range, even though they have a 600 yard range
My scope is a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 w/M1 knobs.
I recently had Darrel Holland put his ART reticle in this scope and I really like it. My barrel also has one of his QD brakes.
I had to re-install the scope and set-up a piece of steel @ 105 yards rather than the usual 200 yard zero.
I have found a portable bench (R.W. Hart) which I like better than anything I have tried to this point. It is very solid and adjustable.
Once sighted in @ 105 yards I got out Exbal and plugged in all the data from my Kestrel, which of course was different than when I shot it last May in Nebraska. I also changed my sight in distance, which had been 200 yards. My larger target was set-up @ 525 yards with a red dot in the center. I was shooting off the Hart bench but was using the Harris BR bi-pod with one of my little sandbags filled with corn cob media.
I dialed in 9.75 MOA into the elevation as the wind was pretty much in my face.
I didn't have a spotter with me, but heard the slap of steel a short time after the shot. Then, I got back into the scope to see where it hit. To my great pleasure it hit the red dot. I then fired three more shots and they made a nice 3" cluster @ 7'O clock just off the dot (I guess the wind was from the SSW and yes, it was gusting some. It ended up being a 4-shot 5" group but it could have been better. I didn't like a bozo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif throw up some grass and check direction-need to pay better attention to all the details. I just wanted to shoot and had made up my mind I wasn't going to dope wind.
Then I had three shots left so I decided to go prone but because of high grass I had my bi-pod on it's highest adjustment.
I wasn't comfortable and my bag wasn't really designed for this height, but I put three shots in 6", one of which, the 3rd shot either the wind dropped completely, it was me, or a combo of the two, but it was the furthest shot to the right.
I will soon be getting lower rings and that will help a lot.
The farmer was to my North sowing some triticali (Spelling?) while I was shooting and he gave me some ideas when I shoot there next time that would give me a better view when prone and I can shoot out to 950 yards-Yipee
The great thing is that it is less than 10 miles from my house.
I took some pictures-no digital, but it will be a while before they get processed.
I plan to do consistent practice from 500-1000 yards with the bi-pod from the prone position before the big game season starts. Just felt good to get out an shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad to hear ya got out shooting, it is always fun no matter what the result and it sounds look you did pretty good so all the better. IT is even more fun to go out and shot one of Kirby's bad boys

good shootin
steve

xphunter,
Glad for you!!! You also need to enjoy life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ernie Bishop,

Go man Go ! You are on the right track and in a good place to do it . I can't imagine all that room to shoot without crossing 4 rivers ,3 creeks , two canyons and a powerline just to get to my target ( 30 mins later ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good shooting / hunting this fall !

Jim B.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine all that room to shoot without crossing 4 rivers ,3 creeks , two canyons and a powerline just to get to my target ( 30 mins later ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim B.....ain't that the truth!! I have one place I can shoot out to 1K and beyond but to set steel targets (at the VERY minimum) would take a half hour to hike them in then get to the shooting spot is another 10 minute walk...Oh...and I forgot to mention the 5 mile drive from on side of the ridge, through the river valley, up the other side of the valley to the next ridge top.

BTW...good shooting Ernie!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Open spaces is one of the blessings of living in Central Kansas with just enough hills/ridges to make a safe natural backstop.
The 7 Dakota XP is cleaned up and ready to go again. Will need to load some, but that won't take to long.

xp,
Thanks for the update, I am very interested in your big pifle (pistol/rifle). The way it sounds that is one pistol that could take out some serious big game. Keep us posted on what you take out with it this hunting season. Cause it's getting about that time.
Thanks bud,
Brandon

duckinalaska,
I taking it with me on my hunt to Colorado (4th season) to hopefully fill a cow elk and a Mulie buck tag. May also use it for whitetails locally

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts