I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

Re: I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippe

Screech,

Thanks, I was looking at the NPR-2 and Kirby said he liked that reticle as well as the NPR-1 and MLR. I hadn't seen the MLR, so I looked on the website and it has a complete vertical crosshair (as opposed to the NPR-2 which only goes halfway up above the center). I do however like the heavy line every 5 marks on the NPR-2. I wish they combined them. For my shooting, Mostly longer than 800 yards, but always a chance at a much closer shot. I figured I could have 5 more MOA of hold under with the MLR if I had a close shot.

Thanks,
Don

[ QUOTE ]
This one here.

I've been able to get my 1k groups down to 4-6" and I'm really happy about it.

I also have a Win model 70 in .264 Win Mag, Rem 700 in 300 WM, 17 Rem, and a handful of misc others. But I enjoy shooting the RUM so much it gets all of my attention. My .264 is in second place (and its ****ed).

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice. I only have the 7mm Rem Mag as a LRR. Its on its second barrel and I've been shooting this action for 27 years. It has a Kevlar stock and a 3x14 Leupold cxIII. The best I've done with the new barrel is a 5 shot group at 200yards of exactly 5/8" CTC. I'm not normally that good, but THAT DAY, I was very good.

I have an Encore pistol that I play with a bit, it has a 7-08 barrel which I never use. I have a .357max barrel that I use for deer hunting down here (only straight wall pistol or shotgun/muzzleloaders are allowed). I can break clay pigeons at 200yds all day with that pistol. Its funny to see weekend warriors trying to hit the 12" gong at 200yds with their 30-06's and I start hitting much smaller targets with the pistol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have some other stuff as well, .243, 7-08 rifle etc. but they pretty much just gather dust.

Don

Give me or Bill Bailey a call at 1-800-522-3314, ask for steve or bj. We stock quite a few of the NF scopes so we can probably help you.

take it easy
steve

HEY GUYS I'M IN MIDLAND. Tod <font color="blue"> </font>

[ QUOTE ]
HEY GUYS I'M IN MIDLAND. Tod <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Howdy, We'll all have to get together this winter and burn a little powder. Midland is only a bit more than an hour from me. I'm in Lapeer.

Don

[ QUOTE ]
Give me or Bill Bailey a call at 1-800-522-3314, ask for steve or bj. We stock quite a few of the NF scopes so we can probably help you.

take it easy
steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent ya an email.

Thanks,
Don

AJ,

Others have mentioned the 5.5-22X. I would like to second the suggestion. I have two of them one a 56mm and the other a 50mm, both have the MLR reticle which I like.

With a 20+ pound rifle you are not going to be looking for those up close and personal snap shots. I don't think the 5.5X on the low end will handicap you at all over the 3.5X, but the 22X over the 15X could be definate plus in many long range situations.

I have taken over a dozen critters with my NF scopes at ranges from 80 to 700 yards. I can only think of two shots that were not made with the scope at full magnification.

I agree you can get too much magnification in some situations, and that mirage or decreased light transmission can be factor at high power. However, in my experience 22X has not presented those problems to me very often.

My recommendations on the scope to Don were for several reasons. First the range he would be shooting out to is not out of the reach of a quality 15x scope by any means. Especially the NXS 3.5-15x 50mm.

Second, this scope will be on a 338 Allen Magnum and in a 20-22 lb class rifle. Recoil will not be severe by any means but it will be more then what many would be accustomed to with this weight of a rifle. When the rifles jump, field of view can be critical to getting back on target and spotting your own shot even if you have a spotter there for you. There is nothing more valuable then seeing your own bullet hit or miss to determine if a second shot is needed or not. The lower powered scopes are more forgiving in this area. Even if you are bumped off target by recoil, the larger field of view will give you a better chance of getting back on target to see your impact.

Many will say that shooting out to 1000 yards will give you plenty of time to get back on target to see your hits. To that I say, ya have to shoot a 338 AM at that range to understand how little time it takes for that bullet to get on target. If you have to readjust your rifle at all you WILL miss your impact at 1000 yards, its there that quickly.

Finally, this is a hunting rifle and most big critters die before the sun comes up or just after it sets. As such, the 3.5-15 is much brighter then the 5.5-22 is. Now you would be correct in saying that when both scopes are set on the same power, they would be equally as bright and to the human eye you would be correct. But, remember that the 3.5-15 reticle is calibrated at 15x. The 5.5-22 is calibrated at 22x. If your using the reticle for reference hold points, the top end of the lower powered scope will be much brighter then the top end of the higher powered scope.

Did that make any sense at all??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As to the 40 MOA rail base. He will have a round with nearly 3000 yard reach, why not be able to use it???

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Don just getting started so that sounds good matbe learn some things!!!! Email me when you have time Tod

I think I got that........Lil carb wide open is better than big carb at 1/2 throttle.....all under it being equal!

I could'nt have said it any better Kirby. The N/F 3.5-15 is an excellant scope of choice, plus you get 10moa more bars then the 22x before you have to play the crank game.

We have a feeder set up at 1150yds from the barn. Mike ask me where to hold and I told him the 11th bar. He said I ain't got but 10. I told him ain't that a bitch, guess your gonna have to figure the crank and I went back to shootin LMAO. I think I have it figured I can shoot form a 150yd zero to 1500yds using the 2moa bars and never turn a click. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

The 3.5-15x 50mm NXS gets overlooked ALOT in favor of the higher magnification 5.5-22x. In some cases the higher power certainly has its advantage but for most big game hunting, even long range big game hunting, the 3.5-15 will give nothing up to the higher power scope and in many cases outperform its more potent brother.

If your looking for a great big game hunting scope, do not overlook the 3.5-15. YOu can not go wrong with any NF scope really but the 3.5-15 has some serious merits to consider before buying the 5.5-22.

Now for small target engagement, the higher powered scope will have more advantages. That said, I had my 3.5-15x 50mm NXS on Black Sunshine when I killed that chuck at 2370 yards set on 15x. It was certainly not overly magnified by I could tell what I was shooting at and I could take a quality hold for each shot as well.

I was not aware that the 3.5-15 had an extra hash in the NP-R2 reticle. Probably because I generally use the MLR reticle.

Kirby Allen(50)

my friends,
I can understand the reasonings for both, the 3.5-15x and the 5.5-22x. They are both strong and valid and professional. Now, I would probably do better in not giving my opinion but here it goes:
If my rifle was between 10 lbs to 16 Lbs or so, to where I would probably take it out and do some walking, I would definatelly would want the 3.5-15X, but with a 22-24 lbs monster that is capable to spit out to 3000 yards, I would take my chances with the 5.5-22X. That would be my personal choosing. Kirby's points are very strong and can not be ignored, that's the part that would make me some what nervous. But all in all I see both sides and I respect both opinions. Just more wisdom to me!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.