I dont understand

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by shooterpunk2, Sep 19, 2010.

1. shooterpunk2

shooterpunk2 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I don't quite understand how you use a rifle scope on these specialty handguns. It seems to me like they would hit ya in the eye often. How do you hold the gun? Pictures would be great. I have an interested in getting into this because it sounds fun to reach way out there with a handgun. Thanks guys!!

2. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010

3. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

4. hshunter

hshunter Well-Known Member

here is one of my HS's (325 WSM) at full recoil. as you can see I am backed away from the scope but was still able to see over half the field of view. just remember to have a good brake and back off before touching the trigger. The scope is a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14 .
    nmhunter

[​IMG]

5. kweidner

kweidner Well-Known Member

Do not think that it is a regular rifle scope. These things have super extended eye relief. Your eye is not even close to getting whacked. I would never try a regular relief eye relief scope on these things you would wind up in the hospital!

6. bfr4570

bfr4570 Well-Known Member

They are standard rifle scopes. You just dont get FOV have to back off a little. Unless you have great break and a grip of steel. I thought the same thing but once or maybe the first 10 times you try it. You will like it alot better than a pistol scope. Im sticking a Mark 4 8.5x25 on a pistol.

7. Mac

Mac Member

It also helps to make sure your head is in the same place by closing up the field of view. With a good break you can shoot a 7mm SAUM with two fingers without any head banging going on.
    GOD BLESS,
    Chuck

8. shooterpunk2

shooterpunk2 Well-Known Member

I get it now, although I will have to try it, I cant imagine liking only seeing about half the field of view, but ya never know. Thanks guys!!

9. bfr4570

bfr4570 Well-Known Member

Its still more view than a pistol scope. Get a good scope dont try with cheap one.

10. jwarren16

jwarren16 New Member

It seems to me, that it would make more sense to try a cheaper scope see if you even like the concept before buying an expensive one that you may not use.JMO

11. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

When using a good brake, you can see a full FOV many times.

12. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

I would say use a Leupold or Nightforce scope as these have longer eye releafe than some of the other scopes on the market