I can't buy a handgun in a state I don't claim residency in? Huh?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troutslayer, Feb 11, 2009.

  1. Troutslayer

    Troutslayer Well-Known Member

    May 12, 2005
    I felt bad the other day to have wasted the time of a very knowledgeable gun sales counter guy. I didn't know I was wasting his time until he told me that I must be a resident of the state that I buy a handgun in. Any legal way around this bs regulation?
  2. MagMan

    MagMan Well-Known Member

    Dec 20, 2002
    Call him on the phone, give him a CC # and have him send it to the nearest "in state" FFL. Oh yeah, and pay an additional fee (a second transfer) on your end.

    I've purchased a few out of state pistols this way.

  3. outofayr

    outofayr Well-Known Member

    Nov 20, 2008
    Ditto. No problem doing this, you just have to do the transfer in the state of residency. If you have a good relationship with a local FFL, shouldn't be any big deal on used, although most would rather you buy directly from them on a new gun. If you can't find a local FFL willing to do the transfer, then try GunBroker.com - they have a list of FFLs by state that are willing. Most charge from $10 to $25 to do the paperwork.