I can't buy a handgun in a state I don't claim residency in? Huh?

Troutslayer

I felt bad the other day to have wasted the time of a very knowledgeable gun sales counter guy. I didn't know I was wasting his time until he told me that I must be a resident of the state that I buy a handgun in. Any legal way around this bs regulation?

Any legal way around this bs regulation?

Call him on the phone, give him a CC # and have him send it to the nearest "in state" FFL. Oh yeah, and pay an additional fee (a second transfer) on your end.

I've purchased a few out of state pistols this way.

Ditto. No problem doing this, you just have to do the transfer in the state of residency. If you have a good relationship with a local FFL, shouldn't be any big deal on used, although most would rather you buy directly from them on a new gun. If you can't find a local FFL willing to do the transfer, then try GunBroker.com - they have a list of FFLs by state that are willing. Most charge from $10 to $25 to do the paperwork.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.