I am very dissapointed with Berger bullets regarding the 338 hybrid bullet.

Just for what its worth, I would not give up on these quite yet. I have over 50 down range and now with the new BC's my programs are matching up with my actual drops. My rifle shoots very well with the 300 smk's but I feel it is shooting tighter and more consistant with the Berger Hybrids.

Load work up was a breeze, ES is very low and here is the best part. I can consistantly hold 3 shot 1/2 moa groups as far as I have shot them. 300, 500, 700, 1000, 1188, 1340 and 1395 yards.

My rifle is a .338 Lapua, 27.5" Lilja 10 twist. I m pushing them just under 2800 fps.

So, if you have a Lapua or smaller cased 338. I wouldn't throw in the towel on them yet. You just might be cheating yourself out of something good.

JMO

Jeff

DSC02323Small.jpg

Knowing Berger, I wouldn't give up on the company just yet. From time to time things like this get out before they can be fine tuned. Now that they are getting feed back, I'd bet they're already looking into stronger jackets and a revised design.

They'll beef up the jacket or use a harder core. They already have two jackets in the smaller calibers. At least they have been open about what's going on. So I'm not disappointed. This is part of the game.

Don't get me wrong I feel for those who've planned around this bullet. But I'm waiting until it's all working smoothly.

But here's the other side of the coin. This may be the best bullet for the smaller/mid 338s. You do want the bullet to expand at long range, right?

But here's the other side of the coin. This may be the best bullet for the smaller/mid 338s. You do want the bullet to expand at long range, right?

My feelings exactly. When I was one of the buyers of the first of the hybrids made available to the public, I knew there were risks that come with any new product. I will admit, I was very frustrated when I could not get the come ups to match and didn't know what to blame. So when Berger announced the change in published BC's, at first I was a bit miffed. At that point I was only thinking of my struggle with come ups. But when my head cleared, and I remembered the steller groups and consistancy of this bullet in my rifle, I made the decission to keep going forward. I am now working with my cold bore come ups and practise. Also this may be kinda sick, but if I find a dead cow or other large amimal in the area I will be sending one in from a far to test terminal damage. Don't worry, have alerted a few on the ranchers here and they are aware of what I want to do.

Jeff

all of you that are dissapointed with the bullets just send them to me i will properly dispose of them for you so there will be no more problems.:D

I will send you mine for the $164.99 that I got screwed out of 2 days before this news hit.
A BC of .818 instead of the .891 is more like BS !!!!
I have a 338Lapua Imp. the exact round mentioned by Bryan Litz that these bullet's wont work in, I feel like Berger owes me a refund (yeah like that will happen).
One debacle after another since Litz went to work for Berger but this is his crowning underachievement.

UB

My feelings exactly. When I was one of the buyers of the first of the hybrids made available to the public, I knew there were risks that come with any new product. I will admit, I was very frustrated when I could not get the come ups to match and didn't know what to blame. So when Berger announced the change in published BC's, at first I was a bit miffed. At that point I was only thinking of my struggle with come ups. But when my head cleared, and I remembered the steller groups and consistancy of this bullet in my rifle, I made the decission to keep going forward. I am now working with my cold bore come ups and practise. Also this may be kinda sick, but if I find a dead cow or other large amimal in the area I will be sending one in from a far to test terminal damage. Don't worry, have alerted a few on the ranchers here and they are aware of what I want to do.

Jeff

I like it.......The cow!:D

Read what he wrote:

I don't think that they ever said the the new hybrid was a hunting bullet.

He said they erred on the side of terminal performance. Paper punching bullets don't have or need terminal performance.

When designing a bullet for use in hunting applications, the toughness of the bullet is always a trade-off. Terminally, you want a bullet that is capable of reliable expansion/fragmentation at low impact velocities. However, the bullet can't be so thin-skinned that it doesn't survive being launched at very high speeds. This being our first time working with a bullet this large, a construction was selected which we felt would strike the best balance between toughness and terminal performance. Simply put, we erred too much on the side of terminal performance.

I will send you mine for the $164.99 that I got screwed out of 2 days before this news hit.

I have a 338Lapua Imp. the exact round mentioned by Bryan Litz that these bullet's wont work in, I feel like Berger owes me a refund (yeah like that will happen).
I may want them.
How many did you buy?
Are you willing to ship to Az?
How much do you want for them?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.