I am officaly a doganator

bubbadad

I have made my first trip to n. dakota in search of the elusive POWDER PUFF dogs ! It was the best hunting trip I have ever been on.For the first 4 days ,my mentor George, had to point them out to me.OLD eyes and lack of experence spotting those tiny little nasty critters.Oh but I did make a couple of good shots way out there ! And lots of shots within my 17hmr 's range (175 yards). Never thought I would get tired of shooting ! My 22-250 realy has alot of recoil if not shouldered properly ! Have talked my way back to go next year with the guys.We were setting out in a field ,miles away from everything and a pick-up truck pulls up behind us ,they were fron minnasota,we had a 2 hour visit. We were up from southern Indiana.WOW , talk about a bunch of gun nuts! gun)

Sooo, whereabouts in North Dakota did you find them there powder puff dogs? I usually go to South Dakota. And, yep, they's additive, ain't they?
About your 22/250. Have you got a muzzle brake on it? A good one will tame it pretty good. I am like you, in a dog town, shooting a lot can be tough if there's recoil. Fir that reason, I like a heavy rifle, brakes, and the 20 TAc. or 223 A.I. For really long shots, the 6.5 Grendel and the 6x47 Lapua. Glad you had a great hunt!

Bubbadad, glad to hear you got in some shooting. We choose not to go this year since everyone I checked with said dogs were hard to find this year. We will probably go next year if the numbers are up. I usually take several rifles, from a 22LR up-to a 300wsm. For me my .223's are the perfect choice out to about 800 yds and really shine from 500 in. The first time I went I came back and told everyone it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on:D. Must be the Hoosier in me!!

As far as where we went in N.Dakota ,I can't say.They blindfolded me and said if I peeked they would have to shoot me ! I know we where almost to montana. While I was out there a friend from shooting range was in Colorodo and said they were few and far between ! Guess my being a newbe made them come out to see the funny old man looking for them and not being able to spot them. They only laughed for alittle while , till someone pointed them out to me. Nothing like decapitaing one at 500 yards. Their little body just stands there for a minute shaking before it falls over. Dad always said aim for the head.:D

I think everyone up here in N.D. has their own "pet" dog town. A couple of my cousins have dogs on their land and I go out with my striker 22-250 or 25 wssm m70 when I have time. A few years ago we were having trouble with the dogs playing peek a boo with us so my brother unleased his 300 win and some 200 grain pills. We were actually shooting them THROUGH the mounds and blowing them out to 500 yards or so. The big rifles are fun but'll wake the dead if the wind's not right so we usually stay with the short action stuff.:rolleyes:

We have been going to OK panhandel for over 30 years and have seen the population go up and down from 500 rounds a day to maybe 50 rounds.We have never failed to have a good time no matter how many dogs are shot.It is the most addicting thing we have ever done. We plan the next shoot on the way home and
start loading ammo when we get back.

I like shooting them with the Big Bores, 300 is nice. I have a 30-338, almost same ballistacly as the 300 win mag.
The real neat thing is, not only the dog disapears but, the mound too. gun):D

the guys were alittle disappointed that i did not bring my 50 beowulf like i told them i was going to.but after see the damage that my 17hmr put on them and the 22-250 , i think it might have been alittle OVERKILL :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts