..I am LIKING this long range stuff!!!

6.5x61Super

excerpts from my posts on another forum...

....we are setup amongst 9 different holes all within 80 yards of us in a 270 degree area...

the thing was.....holes were like this for 750 yards back towards the road!!!

so...we wait....4:00 PM...5:00 PM...

I look to our North [to our right]...there's one sneaking at 226 yards...I setup...BOOM...kerthawaaap...

..about 20 minutes later...a grey juvenile comes out...267 yards...

Andy sets up....BOOM...kerthawaaap

we start spotting crows up by the road......one lands at 610 yards..

.Andy sets up....BOOM.....the crow falls on it's side..tries to take to the wing..get's 20 feet off the ground and nose-dives!!

HELLUVA shot....

..so now..the wind is starting to ebb....

a button buck..comes out of the woods..range him at 505 yards....

..as I am getting pre-occupied by the deer....Andy sees a g'hog up by the road....

I get my Leica LRF1200.....706 yards....

I get setup.....BOOM.....

Andy screams out..."you NAILED HIM.....First SHOT KILL..."

ghog3.jpg

"I beat me personal best...again....."

...what a year it has been....

..first 617 yards...

...and then 706 yards...

..today at 6:35 PM.....722 yards...

..now...it wasn't a first shot kill...

in fact it took me (3) shots.....

..yup....1st 2 were clean over his head!!!

one thing nice about shooting at longer distances....unless you shoot short...most of the time, the g'hog pays no attention!

in fact..this guy would "freeze" after a miss...it was the 3rd and final shot that made him freeze PERMANENTLY!!

..the wind was PERFECT this evening after that last storm moved through...

I ranged another one at 938 yards...but by the time I got 'dialed- in'...he had disappeared into the trees...

all in all.....I got (8) g'hogs with 13 shots = the buzzards will be eating good for awhile...I used my bench for the first time this year...very nice indeed...

I talked to the farmer after I got done....he told me that in the past an older guy who has since passed away used to shoot over 100 g'hogs on this farm every year...I have no doubts..the hay will be cut soon!!

hawksfarm2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.