Hybrid 100 in the 340 wby or .338 ultra mag.

captainmike73

Has anybody tried the new Hodgen Hybrid 100v in 340 Wby or .338 Ultr mag yet? I was wondering where I should start. I'm using 185 grain and 210 grain Barnes TSX Bullets. Going to Kotzebu Alaska to hunt Caribou Planing on 600-800 yard shot. I've heard that this powder is the bomb. looking for some tips.
Mike
Sitka, AKgun)

I've been to Kotzebu...and why are you "planning on 600-800 yd shots". And why do you think a magic powder will help you make them....and why would you not start with proven loads with good old proven powder?? Lastly...how long is the shooting range you are practicing at and tell us about your accuracy at 4,5,6,7,800 yds with your guns??

I've been to Kotzebu...and why are you "planning on 600-800 yd shots". And why do you think a magic powder will help you make them....and why would you not start with proven loads with good old proven powder?? Lastly...how long is the shooting range you are practicing at and tell us about your accuracy at 4,5,6,7,800 yds with your guns??

Hey he just asked a question don't be so cranky kraky1.

This new powder is not yet available here so I have not worked with it. It would be my opinion however, after reviewing Hodgdon's website, that it is a bit fast for either of these big cases. They do list load data for it in the smaller .338 WM but it doesn't deliver any more velocity than is attainable with other powders such as H4350 or H4831. While it is of appropriate burn rate for the .338 WM, you could probably beat it with a slower powder in the cases you mentioned. Good luck on your hunt.

Festus

Kraky1, To answer your questions I'm looking for a challange. I shot many Caribou in my 20 years hunting expierence in Alaska. I'm always looking to improve my shooting skills. My 340 weatherby is a custom built riffle built by my father 15 years ago. Its a Remington 700 with a 24" shillion #5-1/2 barrell with timmney trigger and a 3 point bedding in a browns precision stock. the riffe will shoot 1" groups at 300 yards with some of my hand loads. I"m trying to improve my accuracy out to 400. I think the hybrid might help. So if dont have any other advise BUG OFF MATE:).
GOOD DAY
Mike

Sorry for my "crankiness". I have a great respect for not wounding animals with long range hunting. 98% of the time when I see a post that says something like "I'm planning on 800 yds shots" the person making the post hasn't been practicing at those ranges. The second tip is that they wouldn't be looking for a new powder as they would have a very tried and true bullet/powder combo for that type of shooting. Now we are talking about improving accuracy to 400 yds.....it's a heck of a stretch from 400 yds to 800 yds totally consistant one shot killing under field conditions.

Absoulutly agree with you there. I spend a lot of time preparing for hunts and hours at the shooting range. I defently plan on practicing longer range shots. A few years ago I killed a caribou at 500 yards with a 175 grain barnes"X" with 82 grains of IMR 4350. The shot was from the door of my tent. This year I'm Hoping to get the opertunity to shoot one further out. Any advise is helpfull. I appreciate a sportsman like yourself that are cocerrred about ammutures wounding animals when the hunter could have made a stalk and closed the distance. Believe me I'm no ammuture. We all no there is plenty of them type of people out there.

Thanks Festus. Any Hybrid over at Raycos? I need some.

Nope, hasn't found it's way to Juneau yet. It's frustrating trying to get the local gunshops motivated to get new powders in when I know they are available. It will happen but it will be on their schedule, not mine.

Festus

Just got off the horn with hodgon. They have tested the 338 RUM with Hybrid. They've shot the 185 and 210 barnes tsx. So I think I'll start with that data for my 340, using the starting load. I'll let you-all know how it works out. I'm trying to get over 3200 fps. my new chrono will be here today.
Mikegun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.