Huskemaw Question ( new guy )

R.Morehouse

I have a new Husk. Blu D. 5x20x50 on it's way to me next week and wanted to put a question out there to anyone that shoots the 264 LBC. I will be shooting it through a 20'' out to a max of about 800yds. Should I use a 10 or 20moa mount or does the scope have enough adjustment to get the LBC round out there on it's own? Thank's....gun)....Rick

Last edited:
Are they building turrets for your rifle and load? That scope system is designed to dial out to that kind of yardage. They should be able to provide you with what mounting system info you need. I am in shock you had to even ask this as those grounds should have already been covered if you are doing a "shooting system" which is really the only reason to buy a Husk.

Sorry to have put you in shock...I don't see how this question seems so strange to you. I have the scope on the way, I will review the enclosed DVD and provide the info needed to construct the turret. To run it down again for when you come out of the state of shock please see my above post. I don't know a whole lot about long range shooting but I didn't think my question was that hard to follow..gun):)

WHoaaa there tonto! My reply was not a jab at you but more a jab at Husk or whomever you ordered it through. It sounds as if your in the development stages of your rifle/load. For us to really give you any real answers we need a ton more info. Things like bullet, expected velocities, elevation, average temp, and where you plan to zero the load so we can run the info on a Ballistic calculator. a 20" bbl tells me nothing. It is about what the round is doing once it leaves the bbl. If you have an idea of your expected ballistics then it is a bit more simple to be able to look at the scopes adjustment range VS the performance of the round and see then if a MOA mount of whatever size is needed or not. Sometimes the rifle itself will determine if you need one. Some rifles naturally shoot higher, some lower, some left, some right. That can also make a difference that can only be determined by shooting.

A good scope supplier should be asking these questions. They should be evaluating your desired results and fitting you with what you need using thier best educated guess UPFRONT.

Thank's for the reply. I know I have a bit of work to do before my turret will be made. I was just looking for a starting point with the 6.5 Grendel (LBC) so far as how far it gets out there with a 20". I know it's a big generalization but I was thinking that choosing a scope mount is kind of a general decision. If I am wrong it surely isn't the 1st time. I have gotten other opinions and pretty much know which direction I should go. I have dug around this site a bit and have been learning much...lightbulb....Sorry about coming off a bit abrasive in my earlier post. Your reply makes me look forward all the more to completing this build..........:cool:

Yes, you'll definitely want a 20 MOA mount at least. The Grendel can be accurate way out there, but it drops a ton. That's fine, but it does use up a lot of scope travel.

You'll also notice even pretty small changes in the weather will start noticeably affecting your dope beyond 700 yds or so, so keep that in mind--even if your turret is perfectly accurate for one set of conditions you'll need to check conditions and adjust for first round hits at longer ranges. Of course that's true of every round, it just happens a bit sooner with the Grendel than most rounds we hunt with. That's one of the things that make it a good practice round.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.