Huskemaw or Sightron

d_lakner10

Hey guys, I am building a 7mm Rem Mag and plan on shooting distances up to 1000 yards. I am wondering what scope you guys would choose if you were in my situation...a Huskemaw 5-20 or a Sightron 6-24? Thanks for the help guys!

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have been very pleased with my Huskemaw which I chose because of the features that make it a great scope for back country hunting. The turret system for dialing elevation based on yardage works great, it has always been right on for me and much quicker for me than calculating moa. The windage marks seem to be good also. A huge plus for me is the compact size for a 20x scope. I cant pack a huge scope with the miles that I cover on foot or on a horse. The clarity of the glass is plenty good although many try to unfavorably compare it to other scopes whose strong point is haveing the best glass available. So it comes down to tradeoffs in best features. For me it was a choice between the husky and greybull and I chose the huskey to get the 20x over greybulls 14x. That said if your main game is paper, steel, or prairy dogs and your not needing to lug it all thru the backcountry chasing elk or mulies then your priorities make dictate something different.:)

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have been very pleased with my Huskemaw which I chose because of the features that make it a great scope for back country hunting. The turret system for dialing elevation based on yardage works great, it has always been right on for me and much quicker for me than calculating moa. The windage marks seem to be good also. A huge plus for me is the compact size for a 20x scope. I cant pack a huge scope with the miles that I cover on foot or on a horse. The clarity of the glass is plenty good although many try to unfavorably compare it to other scopes whose strong point is haveing the best glass available. So it comes down to tradeoffs in best features. For me it was a choice between the husky and greybull and I chose the huskey to get the 20x over greybulls 14x. That said if your main game is paper, steel, or prairy dogs and your not needing to lug it all thru the backcountry chasing elk or mulies then your priorities make dictate something different.:)

What scope/brand would you compare the Huskemaw glass quality to? I plan on doing some target shooting with the gun, but mostly use it to shoot big game. Thanks for the information.

D_
I really cant tell the difference looking thru my Huskemaw or a Leupold VX3.
I also have a Burris Signature Select 3x12x44 than I really like but set on the same magnification my husky appears a little better.
Many on this site rave about the glass quality in Swaro and Nightforce scopes and I'm sure that it is tops but they didn't have the other features that were most important to me.

I had a VXIII and recently "upgraded" to a Sightron SIII. Camparing the two the leupold wasn't even close. Sightron had better glass hands down. More repeatable hands down. Needless to say I will never own another luepold again.

Nightforces are nice I do admit but i can't warrant the cost when you can own almost two sightrons for the cost of a Nightforce.

And yes I have had all three I mentioned above. The Nightforce and the Leupold got sold....the Sightron is still sitting on my gun and will continue to stay prolly for a long time

I used to own a Huskemaw, and while it was a good scope, I sold it and traded up for the Nightforce.
The Nightforce only weighs 4 ozs more than the Huskemaw, and has a track record that is hard to beat when it comes to quality and repeatability for dialing dope.
Also, since Huskemaw raised the prices to almost $1200, it is only a small jump to get a Nightforce.
Resale value of the Nightforce is alot better than the Huskemaw as well.
Do yourself a favor and get a Nightforce or the Sightron S3.
Or another option would be a Vortex PST.

I used to own a Huskemaw, and while it was a good scope, I sold it and traded up for the Nightforce.
The Nightforce only weighs 4 ozs more than the Huskemaw, and has a track record that is hard to beat when it comes to quality and repeatability for dialing dope.
Also, since Huskemaw raised the prices to almost $1200, it is only a small jump to get a Nightforce.
Resale value of the Nightforce is alot better than the Huskemaw as well.
Do yourself a favor and get a Nightforce or the Sightron S3.
Or another option would be a Vortex PST.

+1...........

D_,
If your serious about hunting big game, think long and hard before going too high with the magnification. It can be harder than you think to find an elk or deer in your scope at 24X when he is slipping away thru the brush. I love having 20X with my Huskemaw but sometimes even this can be too much.
Also for long range hunting I really think that the turrets marked with yardage is the way to go. It can be tough enough trying to keep an animal accurately ranged without having to count moa and refer to drop charts when under pressure to make the shot before he disappears. I am speaking from experience that you often have only seconds to get it done even at long range. The BDC reticles can be good and quick but usually limited to only 600 yards. The 800 or 1000 yd reticles have too many marks and can get confusing in the heat of the moment. Again I'm speaking from experience about real life hunting situations.
The 1/3 moa dials can be a plus on extending the yardage on a single rotation of the dial and are still plenty accurate for hunting.
Dont underestimate the importance of size and weight for backcountry hunting.
You will get on a guides S-list real quick by showing up with a rig that wont fit in the horses rifle scabbard or is too heavy to pack up and down the mountain.
However if your more interested in shooting targets or p-dogs then forget everything that I have said and just go get the best glass that you have money to buy!:D Have fun trying to decide what to get with so many of us EXPERTS
giving our 2 cents.

D_,
If your serious about hunting big game, think long and hard before going too high with the magnification. It can be harder than you think to find an elk or deer in your scope at 24X when he is slipping away thru the brush. I love having 20X with my Huskemaw but sometimes even this can be too much.
Also for long range hunting I really think that the turrets marked with yardage is the way to go. It can be tough enough trying to keep an animal accurately ranged without having to count moa and refer to drop charts when under pressure to make the shot before he disappears. I am speaking from experience that you often have only seconds to get it done even at long range. The BDC reticles can be good and quick but usually limited to only 600 yards. The 800 or 1000 yd reticles have too many marks and can get confusing in the heat of the moment. Again I'm speaking from experience about real life hunting situations.
The 1/3 moa dials can be a plus on extending the yardage on a single rotation of the dial and are still plenty accurate for hunting.
Dont underestimate the importance of size and weight for backcountry hunting.
You will get on a guides S-list real quick by showing up with a rig that wont fit in the horses rifle scabbard or is too heavy to pack up and down the mountain.
However if your more interested in shooting targets or p-dogs then forget everything that I have said and just go get the best glass that you have money to buy!:D Have fun trying to decide what to get with so many of us EXPERTS
giving our 2 cents.

I totally agree with you everything you have said. You have really helped me with my decision on what scope to buy. I am planning on ordering a Huskemaw scope one of these days when my bank account will allow. Thanks for all your advice!

D_,
1-The 1/3 moa dials can be a plus on extending the yardage on a single rotation of the dial and are still plenty accurate for hunting.

2-Dont underestimate the importance of size and weight for backcountry hunting.

1- The Huskemaw adjustment are advertised as MOA, but are actually Inches Per Hundred Yards (IPHY)

2- Guides only care about getting your buissnes

My rifle will not fit and my guides just wants me to come back

ElkHuntNewMexico2008062.jpg

A guided hunt is "your hunt" carry want you want to carry

ElkHuntNewMexico2008063.jpg

Last edited:
JWP.
Nice pics. Also thanks for the correction on 1/3 moa. I told everyone that I had no business trying to figure moa / yardage equations!:D
I just know that when my dial says 700 yds then my bullet hits at 700 yds. I need things real simple.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.