Hurricane's here

Dave King

Hurricane\'s here

I'm officially off today... Government in DC shutdown... What a bunch of ... I did go in this morning for a few hours to check windows locked (or a least closed!) and do my weekly network backup. Nice to be able to move around without a million folks doing their worst to make the drive and day miserable. Stopped in to Home Depot to get some bar lube for my chainsaw...happened to pass the battery display...looks like a direct hit with a small nuclear bomb...lots of residue (cardboard boxes and wrappers... thought I was a light blood trail too
wink.gif
)... every battery of ANY description is gone!

The winds are kicking up a bit... looks like about a 200 yard limit on shooting and that would take about 5 minutes of wind easily... big storm should be here in a few more hours.

Re: Hurricane\'s here

Dave

Being about 60 miles south, we took a direct hit. I am one of 1.7 million without power at home. Dominion power only has 2.2 million customers and over 80% are without power. Their biggest hit before this was 800,000 loss and took 5 days to restore power. Had to cut my way out of the cul de sac with tree over the road. Took three of us about 3 hours to clear it. Neighbor has one through his house and other than that we got off lucky it looks like. Only two traffic lights working in Fredericksburg area, but luckily everyone is acting nice and stopping and politely moving intersections. Quantico Marine base took smaller hit and lot of residents without power. Of course the commisary and PX are without power also. Crews working to get them and gas station on line as quick as possible. Hopefully it will not be a week before power comes on in F'burg area.

BH

Lots of flooding here on the Eastern shore. Hoopers Island reported 6ft waves ON LAND!!! several gusts were recorded at over 100mph,...crab factory was destroyed. Roads to H.I. are closed off,...under about 2 ft of water.

Here in Salisbury, we got the wind and rain pretty hard. I had to cut several trees off the fence and out of the yard,..but they all missed the house.

Looks like it's work all around...

I spent the better part of the day cutting trees off local roads and from yards of local friends. Only a small tree down at my place (never liked that particular one anyway).

I'm lucky enough to live in a small development in Montgomery County that rarely if ever looses power...only a few flickers but it's been lights on here for the duration... Never should have said that!!

I was down at Hoopers Island on Saturday (well almost to Hoopers Island). Had to drive through a foot or so of water crossing the Great Marsh Bridge. Our hunting trailer was 3 inch from floating away. The water was up to the front door. JustC since you know the area, I hunt Golden Hill Farms on the corner of Meekins Neck Rd and 336 (Between Gootee's Marine and Hoopers Island). Took the boat and 4 wheeler back down for duck season. I live in Michigan now but my father and brothers still hunt dowm there. I am going to make it back for early muzzleloader season and opening weekend of rifle season (Sat and Sun).

Matt

[ 09-22-2003: Message edited by: Matt Regalia ]

Matt,...I know it well. I grew up in Dorchester county. My father-in-law owns an RSA down on taylors island, just across from the marina and just before the bridge onto the island.

Hoopers island is hit hard,...lots of damage. The gov, flew in sunday afternoon to look around. A few houses are overboard,..lots of businesses are destroyed and there might be a handful of piers left on the entire bayshore.

Well it looks like the Hurricane coming into the country from the other side got down graded to a tropical storm not long after we started seeing it yesterday. We got cloud cover about 8 am yesterday, and today it started to rain. Not much, this is the Sonoran desert after all. But a nice gentle rain, and the winds have died down.

It would be nice to get an inch or so of rain out of this, we only got 4" here for our summer Monsoons and the ground is in dire need of more water.

I'm hoping that no one looses power in this area. Especially since I'm on call this week for the electric company, and I'd rather sit here, than go work in the rain!

JustC, I heard Hoopers got it bad. I have alot of waterman friends that live on Hoopers. I have not been able to get hold of. I spoke to my father last night and he said everyone survived but lost alot of property. I have another buddy that lives out near Wyngate. His house got it bad to. There is a Catholic Church on the left as you are driving toward Hoopers Island from Gootees Marine. We hunt the property across the street from it and all the way out to Dunnock Island/ Punch Island creek. I can see the Taylors Island public launch from my tree stand on Dunnock Island. As much as I hate to admit it. It was our farm that was raided about 5 years ago by the DNR. Got written up in all the papers, "Golden Hills Farm". What a bunch of crap.

We get oysters from a guy that is just before you go over the bridge to Taylors Island. I know the area well. They we hit Kool Ice in Cambridge for soft shells (when in season).

Do you do much Sika deer hunting? I know, stupid question if you grew up in Dorchester County. We used to have a lease in Gum Swamp bordering Blackwater Refuge. There are some monster deer in there. We have taken a few nice ones, but I always have seen big racks walking through the tall grass out there.

Matt

Matt,..my father-in-laws place (Fruit Hill Farm) has the marsh that stretches from the base of the bridge up slaughter creek 1-2miles. The marsh is the backbone of the farm,....as it provides habitat for the ducks and geese. I hunt those pine bluffs that you see scattered in spots out on the marshes. these seem to be a real hot-spot for Sika. I took a nice 6point last year,..that went probably 125lbs live weight. I should have him back from the taxadermist in a week or two. There is an 8 pointer out there,..he just was a little too sly for me this year.

So,...you hunt with Bobby Gootee? I graduated with him. I am sure I know half of that hunt club from one time or another. I thought that was the same club as was in the papers. I think the DNR handled the situation incorrectly,....but when you give someone too much authority they tend to get a complex. The helicoptor was a little over the top,....as was the armed intrusions into the homes of the members.

JustC,
Yes I know Bobby Gootee real well. He is a good friend of ours. My brother, Nick, and he used to hunt alot together on Golden Hill Farm and on J.D. Willams property. It is a real shame what happened there. Boo Powley, Ronnie Robbins, and Ed Davis all got smacked hard with fines. Not sure if Brian Hall got an fines. I see Bobby every once in awhile when I am down that way. I got ticket for a BS violation. The **** field tag tore off when I dragged the deer out and the under cover dnr agent was wait at my truck and documented everything.

Where do you have your taxidery work done down there? I have been sending my deer to Greg Rue in East New Market (off 16), Bucks Unlimited Taxidery. I shot a nice 6 point Sika last year during early muzzleloader season. He went 105 dressed out. I checked him in a E&M Farms outside of Church Creek so I could weigh him. Snows Turn (gas station) usually just guesses on the weight when you check him in. We have sent 5 six point Sika's and a monster 4 point to Greg Rue in the last 2 years. He does good work at a reasonable price.

I think I know the piece of property your father-in-law has. Very nice duck hunting area. We take alot of Sika's on the Pine Bluffs on our proprty too. They use them as transition area between going from the fields (food) and the marsh for shelter.

Matt

[ 09-24-2003: Message edited by: Matt Regalia ]

Matt,...my last deer was done over in the Salisbury area by Dennis Collins (collins taxadermy) He is about 1yr,..but I have seen his work and he does very nice things. I saw a deer that had not been found the night it was shot,..and the buzzards had eaten the eyes and started to work on the cape around the face,..he fixed it good as new,..looks perfect. He also cuts meat at my butcher's place (Jim's custom cutting). I am living in Delmar now,..but mine and my wifes roots are there in dorchester.

Mike Spear (E&M) is a good guy,..I like him and his work. I also graduated with his daughter and just ahead of his son. Small world Huh?

I just started seriously working the marsh on the father-in-laws place last year,..out of necessity. The Older members (age) don't want to put the effort into it,..so they use the field stands and places that they can be dropped off. Then there are guests that are business associates and such. Soooooo, in order to not have my area disturbed and to stay out of the way of the guests I took to the marsh,...the untapped resource. The work is a lot more,..and the walk is a lot longer,....but I am in the thick of the sika territory and all by myself. It paid off in spades last year,...as the saturday before rifle (last bow season weekend) I had 3 6 pointers, 2 4 pointers, several spikes, multiple does, and the big daddy 8pt, all mulling around me. It was a beautiful sight. I ended up getting a doe to come in close enough,.and took my meat shot. Then,...I waited for one of those 6's to show up during rifle,..and he did. Those pine bluff's provide nice shooting too,..the needle grass can easily cover the movement of even the largest sika buck. I may even try going to one of the bluffs out in the marsh 1/2 mile or more,...but going into it from the river side by skiff. A portable stand and a boat,..and I have NOOOOOOOO competition for shots out there,...no-one wants to put in that much effort.
wink.gif

when you getting down this year?

Justin,

I will be flying in on Wednesday the 15th of October. I am probably hitching a ride with my brother down to the farm Wednesday night. I am hunting Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Hopefully done with Sika's on Thursday and looking for a nice Whitetail the other two days. My wife, the twins and i are driving back for Thanksgiving also. I will be down on the Farm for opening Saturday, Sunday and Monday of rifle season. It sure is fun to let the 338 Lapua Mag reach out and touch something across the march on a Sika deer.

My father and i have built a few towers that we take out in sections by boat to Dunnock Island and some of our other wide open areas. That is what you need on your property. 16 feet high with 4ft X 4ft top (floor) with a rock solid 2x4 railing and bench seat. We then burlap the sides to conseal the hunter and protect them from wind. They are really nice and not perminent so land owners are usually reseptive to their construction.

We have been taking deer to Mike at E&M for years. Even if we don't have them butchered there he usually cuts a deal to hang them in his meat locker.

You have an 8 pointer on your property
shocked.gif
Sweet. My brother and i saw one on the Blackwater refuge a few years ago. We got lottery tickets to hunt the blackwater refuge. We saw him about 225 years off in a restricted area, beautiful deer.

Maybe we can meet up when i am down there this year.

Matt

Matt,..you read my mind. You know I will be frequenting the area during your visit,..so that should be a perfect opportunity to get together.

338LM on sika???
shocked.gif
do you get any meat
grin.gif

another member and myself have thought about the tower idea,..but we are wondering how that would go over. My ladder stand is 16' high,..but nestled into the traffic area. The big daddy was a good 4-5" taller than the 6 pointers,..and almost jet black. He was following a doe,..and turned up the tree line walking right at me,.......then he decided she wasn't worth it,..and all I had was a bow.
frown.gif
Had it been one saturday later,.......
cool.gif

Justin,

You just have to make sure you do not hit the front shoulders if at all possible with the 338LM. Very very messy
grin.gif
I shoot a 200gr Nosler Ballistic tip at 3400 fps. Makes for a good blood trail
wink.gif
The last couple only went 14 inches (straight down). I had one run once and shot her again....it was ugly. I know it is over kill and I use my 308 and 270 alot too. But the 338LM is so much fun to shoot.

I will send you an email with my cell phone number. I get intermitent service on the shore but it should work at the farm. I'll grab my brothers truck and we can meet up around lunch time or after the evening hunt.

We went with the towers because there were two area I wanted to hunt and the closest tree big enough to put a stand in was another 100yds farther away. We built the tower and stood them up in a clump of three 12-14 foot high cedars. The stand blends right in. I have shots from 10yds to 550yds. We have killed three 6 pointers and a big 5 pointer in the last two years out of it. The other tower is in an area of dead trees on the point of Dunnock Island (the snags between North and South Dunnock Island).

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.