hunting

j hamm

im going to be hunting with a 300win mag this year for white tail deer.thinking of trying remington 150gn core-lokt ultra psp .do you think this would work well.

jhamm,
I used to use 150gr Ballistic Tips for the smallish deer here in N.C.. I found the bullet would explode once it got through the on-side hide. This pretty much turned everything it came in contact with into red jello. The deer couldn't stand it and died on their feet. I was concerned about the chance encounter with the occasional "big" buck and changed to the 165gr pill. Ranges ran from 150-450yds with results the same through out those ranges.
I would think the 150gr core-lock ultra would hold together pretty good at .300WinMag velocities. I have never used them before and would do my usual trial and error method (if you have the time) before making a final decision.
Hope this helps. Johnny K.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.