Hunting with turret caps or no turret caps...that is the question.

bookworm

Shopping for a good long range big game hunting scope and wondering everyone's opinion on whether to go with a model that has turret caps or a "tactical" style that do not have caps.

I can see some concern of accidentally moving a knob off zero if you don't have caps (gun scabbard, etc.). My thought was that putting a scope coat on it might alleviate that concern.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I prefer knobbed turrets over capped turrets. It is quicker and I dont loose the caps which I have done. I have never had a problem with a turret moving on its own. The Mark 4's are very tight and the NXS doesnt have enough material to catch something and turn. It pretty much takes finger pressure to turn.

Also reguardless of the style you use, you should always double check your settings BEFORE you pull the trigger. If youre still hunting through the woods, I cant imagine ever getting a turret to move on its own.

The scope on my go to hunting rifle has exposed turrets and they haven't inadvertently moved yet but I constantly find myself checking them especially when horseback. I am building another carry rifle to take its place and it will have covers on the turrets. The time to take them off is minimal and if I end up finding they are departmental then will just leave them off. The new scope is a US Optics and the screw on caps are a accessory and don't have to be in place for the scope to be water and dust proof.

I've got three different brands with exposed turrets on five different rifles, 3 Zeiss Conquests, 1 Nikon Tactical, and 1 Clearidge Ultra XP5. None have ever moved unless I have turned them. I've never used them in a scabbard, but I've used them about every place else imaginable. As a matter of fact there have been a couple of times when I let my fingers get to cold that I had a hard time turning them when I wanted to.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies fellas.

After thinking about your inputs...I guess if they did inadvertently rotate, it would probably be only a few clicks. I'm guessing that checking them and returning them to zero would take no more time than removing a turret cap...assuming you had to dial for windage and/or elevation.

I know someone who uses his Huskemaw scope without the dust caps even in his scabbard when on horseback. No movement.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.