Hunting with a Marginally Stable Bullet

Interesting enough that the 143 ELD-X going 3006 FPS from a 1:8 twist is 1.47 so technically marginally unstable.
Looks like your decision is going too be based upon a split recommendation. If I were going in a once in a lifetime hunt , or shooting a once in a lifetime trophy , I would not want too be playing a guessing game , I would want a little more stability than necessary. Good Luck on your decision.

Interesting enough that the 143 ELD-X going 3006 FPS from a 1:8 twist is 1.47 so technically marginally unstable.
Bullets no matter the brand all can fail. Ideally it's best to limit variables. I don't care for the fear mongers or passive guilt trips. Test them for your situation and your variables and enjoy hunting.
I have said it before I have never lost an animal "knock on wood" no matter what bullet I used. Some required secondary shots etc. I even killed a couple once in a lifetime animals with a Barnes bullet and a Creedmoor. 😳

Last edited:
looking at a box of 143 eld-x right now... Hornady is asking for an 8" twist. Seem to run and kill fine from a creed at 2700 fps... oh well... looks like they are asking for an 8" twist on 140 eld-m's also.

These are such simple questions. The calculator is a tool, only way to verify is to actually shoot the bullet at 100 yards, then out to 800 yards. Why guys want to always push the ragged edge I don't get, a 175 will not kill any better than the right 162 but you have the right to try. In my books, I would get a 1:8 barrel spun on if I REALLY wanted to use the longer bullet.

. The old saying goes , experience is the best teacher ,try it , you may or may not like the outcome.
yup... I've been filling my freezer with hornady, sierra, and nosler for better than a quarter century... I've worked with other makes but when it's time to put critters in the freezer I'm normally tossing one of the three.

These are such simple questions. The calculator is a tool, only way to verify is to actually shoot the bullet at 100 yards, then out to 800 yards. Why guys want to always push the ragged edge I don't get, a 175 will not kill any better than the right 162 but you have the right to try. In my books, I would get a 1:8 barrel spun on if I REALLY wanted to use the longer bullet.
Even then it's no guarantee that it'll shoot as well as you want it to. I bought my first couple boxes of 175 eld-x for my Shilen bbl'd 7stw. Even with the 8" twist, it seems to play best with nos 140ab's and rl25. The heavies just weren't that happy in the barrel, including the 195 Berger.

Even then it's no guarantee that it'll shoot as well as you want it to. I bought my first couple boxes of 175 eld-x for my Shilen bbl'd 7stw. Even with the 8" twist, it seems to play best with nos 140ab's and rl25. The heavies just weren't that happy in the barrel, including the 195 Berger.
Absolutely true and individual barrels are a law unto themselves, but on balance of probability the 1:8 should like the heavies a lot more than a 1:9. Kind of what I was getting at when I said the only way to know for sure is to shoot the combination you want to use.

Last edited:

Recent Posts