Hunting with a 308 AR?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by ksgunguy, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ksgunguy

ksgunguy Active Member

Does anybody know of restrictions for using AR 10 for hunting ? Do all states allow these types of rigs? Want to someday hunt in Alaska , Arizona , New Mexico and Colorado to name a few.

2. Mossy49

Mossy49 Well-Known Member

Up here in Alaska your limited to 5 rounds in the mag.

3. kbaerg

kbaerg Well-Known Member

I used an AR in .308 here in SD a few years back. Our rules for big game were you had to have a 5 rd. Clip and could not have in possession or on you any clip holding more than 5 during that hunt. I'm sure if you did some digging in the states hunting rule book you may find your answer or just call up the game fish and parks dept. For the states you want to hunt.

4. snowpro440

snowpro440 Well-Known Member

Your good to go in Arizona with a semi-auto rig .

5. ksgunguy

ksgunguy Active Member

ok, and thank you Arizona

6. dpicciuto2001

dpicciuto2001 Member

10 round mag or less in Kentucky is legal!

7. PPD7800

PPD7800 Member

No limit on mag size in Arizona anymore also.

8. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

Texas doesnt care. Ar's are fine and with as many rounds as you want.

9. DutyRanger

DutyRanger Member

Don't want to step on anybody's toes or step out of my lane here cause I'm new, but verify the Az restrictions. I'm an LEO that enforced hunting regs and hunted in Az. I transferred out of Az in 2013. When we killed our elk in unit 9 in December 2012, there was a 5 rd mag restriction. We killed the elk w/ a 308 Ar. The rifle is fine, but as of Dec 2012 there was still a 5 rd mag restriction. Don't know if AZG&F changed that this year or not. Just verify before you use mags capable of holding more than 5 in Az.

10. JakeL

JakeL Active Member

In AZ. Can confirm, semi autos are fine, no mag restrictions for hunting in az. Except for migratory birds. Oh and suppressors are also good to go here. And you can carry a defense pistol while hunting during archery season, concealed or open, no permit required. God bless the USArizona.

Some units even allow apology ting for coyotes certain times of year now. It's getting good.