Hunting w/ smk 168's 7mm

Re: Hunting w/ smk 168\'s 7mm

[ QUOTE ]
How about the .308 168's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have been impressed with this bullet on game with 308 velocities out to 300-350 yards. After that, I dont like them at all. I get very good reliable expansion between 0-350 yards but not much further. Bear in mind that the higher the velocity, the further you will get reliable expansion. If a LR deer bullet is your desire, look at the 168 and 178 AMAX bullets. Sorry, I havent used the 7mm version.

I'm looking for long range stuff that I can use for targets and hunting. How bout the berger? Or the accubond?

I personally would look at a different bullet then the 168g SMK for all around in the 7 RM. Its not a bad bullet, but there are better with higher BC's. The 168g VLD for example, or even the 160g AB. The 168g VLD will work out to 1K fairly well. IF you want to use the SMK, I would step up to the 175g SMK for all around usage. I used the Berger 168g VLD this last year on 2 muley bucks with perfect bullet performance. 1 was 175 yards, the other was 618 yards. Very very good terminal performance on both deer. The 162g amax would be a good bet for targets/deer, but I think its a little to light for elk/bear. JMO.

I use my 7 mag for both long range tactical matches and hunting. The 175gr SMK has done very well for me in both categories.

craig: What twist is your barrel? I tried the 180 vld's and I either had a problem w/ them stabilizing or I had a copper fouling prob. I'm gong to give them a shot again and see what happens. Also what load are you using w/ your 175's?
varmitwhacke: which vld are you using and what is your load? Thanks

500 yard+ elk I would recomend the 160 ACCUBOND. Medium sized black bears and deer and targets you will find the 162 AMAX hard to beat. YOu may find that the 160 AB works well as a target bullet as well. It is a fine accurate bullet. It will also work well for the deer and bears.

61g of RL-22 with either the 160g AB or 162g AMAX has givin me great results so far, .5" at 100 yards with both bullets, I got lucky finding a universal load there. They shoot 2900fps. I've played with the top 3 bullets I think are suitable for the 7 RM, 160g AB, 162g amax, and 168g VLD and I personally find the 168g VLD to probly be the best as far as all around goes, being accuracy, and being able to use them on anything from targets, varmints, deer, elk, and bears. The amax is a little light for elk, but would probly still get the job done at LR. The 160g AB doesn't ahve the BC as the 2 other target bullets, but for a "hunting" bullet in the 7 RM from 0-800 yards, would be tough to beat. JMO.

Links, my barrel is a Broughton 5C with 1-9 twist. Sierra says a 1-8.5 is required for the 175 SMK, but I have not had any problems whatsoever stabilizing this bullet out to 1400yds. I'm driving it with 67.5gr of RL-25 and seating the bullet 0.012" off the lands. Speeds are running just a hair over 3000fps.

Copper fouling is very minimal with this bullet in my barrel. I shot a 130 round match without cleaning the whole time. When I returned home, I scrubbed out the powder and hit it with some Wipe-Out over night. The patch had some faint blue on it in the morning, but hardly worth noting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.