Hunting / Target load for 30-06

Riflemanse

Hi

I plan to make a hunting / target load for one of my rifles which is cal 30-06.
The bullet will be the Hornady SST 165gn (for the price...) and I have Norma cases and Federal LR and LRM primeres.
I have looked in the Hodgdon manual and as far as I can see the 4350 powder would give me the highest velocity witht ok pressure.
I guess I dont have to say that I also want as high accuracy as possible to.
I allready have a can of Varget but haven´t tested it yet with the planed bullet.

Now some questions before I buy the stuff I need.

Have any one here used the 4350 and can recomend it?
Any other powder I should consider?
Any succesfull loads you can share?

Best Regards // Diezel

I use IMR 4350 and it has worked well for me. The manual that I use lists it as the powder to use for the accuracy load. I am not an expert here, so others please correct me if I am wrong, but its a pretty slow burning powder which aids in the accuracy that it can produce. I am new to reloading but the 4350 is the powder that was suggested for me to use in reloading my .25-06 and .30-06. I think you will be pleased with choosing this powder, but then again, I am a newbie. I hope this helps.

nothing wrong that i see.i currently have a .30-06AI coming from fifetydriver in the mail.have lapua brass and 155gr scenars,165gr smk,165gr nbt & fed match primers and 8lb jug of yep, h-4350 in the waiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for some tgt and mainly under 200lb deer.

I have found very accurate loads in my remington with h4895 and IMR 4064 using CCI 200 primers and win casing. The IMR loads are a little more fussy to temp than the h 4895, but I was getting 1/2 moa or better groups out of both using 150 to 165 grain BTSP speer, hornady bullets.

I use the exact bullet you listed and I love it. I use the IMR 4350 powder with CCI 200 primers. I always work up to maximum in 0.5 grain increments and go with the most accurate. My gun likes 55.5 grains.

I use H4350 powder in one of my 30/06s and few other rifles with great success, however, this paticular 06 does not like 165s. My load is 57 grains H4350, 180 SGK, Fed GM210M and Lapua brass. Vel. is 2780 fps in the Krieger 24" barrel and will shoot a .75 group @ 200 when I am having a good day! This load and rifle has accounted for many elk and deer over the years.

I have been using the loads already listed for 4350 for many years. The only other thing I can add to it is that IMR-4350 has a slightly quicker burn rate than the H-4350. Sometimes this will make a difference in a particular rifle. Either way work up slow and do not use one powder substituted for the other. If you have both on hand make SURE that you identify which the load was worked up with. Just puttin 4350 on the lable can be bad news.

The rifles I have used these powders in varied in manufacturer, but all would shoot at or under 1" at 100 easily, with either bullet weight.

Good Luck and happy shootin

Hi

Thanks for the tips.
I can´t get IMR in Sweden yet since they are not CE approved.
Hodgdon, Accurate, Alliant, Norma and Vihtavuori can I find here.
How about the primer, should i use a standard large rifle or a magnum one?

I use H4350 in my F class 30-06. I am using a different bullet though. I am using a 175 grain Sierra Match King with 56 grains of H4350 in a Lapua case with a Federal match primer. Velocity is an average of 2,921 fps. This is out of a 28" barrel.

I think a regular primer should be fine with any of the powders you might use. I have heard of very good accuracy with 180grn bullets and VN560 in the 06 but not sure about the 165grn.

My favorite powder for the 165grn is IMR4350 but Hod. or AA will work also.

Bill

Hi

I have now tried 4 different loads, 57.7gn was a good load and I intend to use that one. I ended up using Federal GMM215 primers.
First i got flat primers, on all loads. For the last load i adjusted the full length sizer tool for compensating the long headspace.
All groups was shot at 80m from bench with bag & benchrest front support. The V0 was 860 m/s (2821 fps)

The rifle is an old Husqvarna 1640 30-06 with a Zeiss Diatal Z 6x42 in Warne rings.
I bought the rifle from my gandad a year ago (He bought it from a friend of him 1965)
I have only added the scope, bases and bedded it.

Now I just have to make a load for my .308 to.
See:this thread.

Thanks for the help every one!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.