hunting pics

Well I don't have anything out as far as some of these folks do, but I got a few that are out a ways for some folks. Just click on the "My Photo's" link below my name there on the bottom and enjoy.

190gr MK 300win mag 110yds
Scan0006_0006.jpg

190grMK 300win mag 40yds
Scan0001_0001.jpg

190grMk 300winmag 35yds
Scan0014_0014.jpg

190gr Mk 300winmag 210yds
Scan0009_0009.jpg

220grMk 300winmag 250yds
Scan0010_0010.jpg

178grAMAX 300winmag 45yds
Scan0012_0012.jpg

178gr AMAX 300winmag 720yds
Charlesdoeat720circled.jpg

178grAMAX 300winmag 170yds
TGdaydoe170yds178AMAX.jpg

178gr AMAX 300winmag 40yds

Scan0011_0011.jpg

220grMk 300Tomahawk(300RUMimp) 290YDS
Bensexit290yds220grSMK.jpg

220grMK 300T 274yds
HoleinOne.jpg

220grMk 300T 302yds
Ambers8ptexit302yds220grMKTommy.jpg

220grMK 300T 250yds

DDsdeerat250.jpg

220grMk 300T 250yds
Logansdeer250yrd300tcircled.jpg

Charles, are all those deer from TN? What is the average wieght of your deer? I have never hunted in the south so I was curious as to their size. Seems like those mk's do a number on them.

CoyBoy, yes those deer are all from Tn. I've got dozens if not hundreds more pictures if I can find them.

The average weight depends on where in Tn, because of different food sources. Where I do most of my hunting doe's usualy go about 90-120lbs, young bucks 110-140lbs, and mature bucks 130-170lbs. The biggest doe I've seen was about 160lbs and the biggest buck probably about 220-230lbs. There pretty small compared to up north, but there everywhere. In my unit its legal( I dont really know if someone could actually do it though) to kill 303 deer or there abouts this season. Only three can be bucks. The most I've taken in a season is 18, its also the most I've heard someone taking during the normal season.

As for bullets, ya the matchkings work and work very well. To be honest I like the Amax's the best I think. The MK's leave enormous exit holes, but the the Amax's shoot freaking awsome and tend to frop the deer where they stand.

I didn't start using MK's untill I found this board six or seven years ago. I thought they were "match" bullets and you couldnt hunt with them. Now I've shot alot of deer with them so now when somebody says that, I just laugh.

[ QUOTE ]
Charles how much damage does the 300wm do to the meat? How much meat do you lose of the animal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that depends on what bullet is used, what range, and where the deer is hit. With the Amax's usaully if you hit just the lungs, and no shoulders, you dont lose that much meat. Now get a close shot and hit big bone... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Well, its ugly. With the MK's as long as you dont hit big bones you'll be fine. With the 190's if you shoot a deer under 100yds and hit shoulders, most of the meat between the middle of the neck to middle/end of the rib cage is toast.

Now there are going to be some of ya'll that wont like whats following, but it has come from killing hundreds of deer personaly, and seeing/helping hundreds more killed. So before you guys start flaming me for wounding deer or gut shooting deer all the time, I kill alot of deer, and so far only about 1 in 30 or 40 is a bad shot.

I know a lot of guys dont like the big holes and losing some meat, but if you make a bad shot with most normal hunting bullets and rounds, it may be a long night or you might not find that deer. Nobody wants to admit it but bad shots DO happen. TO EVERYBODY. Some places I hunt if you hit low and break a leg with a "hunting" bullet or even say a 308win or other similer round and that deer makes it into the thicket its going to be VERY hard to find it. If you do at all. However with the bigger rounds and and match bullets, esp. the Amax, it will not break the leg, it will blow it off... Completely.
The advantage to that, while it may not sound "pretty" is that deer is going to bleed a whole lot more, which will make an easier tracking job, plus the deer will tire faster since he doesnt have that leg to lean on, or hobble with. Even deer with broke legs will tend to use them somewhat. Another instance, two years ago I shot a doe at reletively short range, 308yds, with a 220grMK out of the 300Tommahawk, in the center of the body. A gut shot. I dont know why, it was an easy shot, she was walking but not that fast, but for some reason I just made a bad shot. Now I have seen dozens of similiar if not exact same shots with 270's, 30/06's, 308's, etc. with every type of bullet imaginable. 99.9% of the time its a 500yrd plus tracking job, with mixed blood or intestine on the ground depending on what bullet was used. Most would leave a 2-4 inch exit hole, and decent blood with a little intestine on the ground. You could find them but it will take a while. Anyways the bullet impacted her(because of my F-up) way to far back. She ran thirty yards, turned around, ran back and fell in a creek right about where she started. On the video you can see the soccer ball size exit hole with guts, liver, etc., dragging as she ran back by. Close to that of Ben's deer(pic above) with the lungs, liver intestines hanging out, only farther back and bigger, (his is about 9in in diameter). My point to all this is, everybody makes bad shots and the farther you shoot the more likely you will. What these bullets do for us, besides great accuracy, and high BC, is give more margin for error. When(not if) I make a bad shot they increase my odds of finding that deer. For that I can live with a little bit of meat damage.

Robins, you ask about damage with a .300 and I can tell you my experiences with that round. I have taken two deer with it, shooting 180 grain Remington corelokt. The first I shot broadside at 200 yards, and my bullet blew right through, I don't think it expanded at all. Luckily it was a perfectly placed shot and despite no expansion the deer died instantly. There was hardly an exit hole at all which concerned me but I continued to use those corelokts.

The next one I shot was looking right at me and I shot it in the brisket from about 100 yards. I looked and looked for blood and finally found a few drops. That deer didn't go far and when I found him there again was a very small exit hole, the bullet miraculously missed the intestines exiting foreward of the pelvis. When I gutted that one I found the copper jacket which had been seperated from the core and no real signs of expansion, though there was some damage inside and he did die quickly. So I have had poor bullet performance but 0% meat damage.

One other one that my friend shot with a .300 and I think an accubond he shot from about 50 yards and blew a hole the size of a grapefruit out the other side. He hit rib on the entry and I think to get those things to perform well, you have to contact bone. For some reason that deer went farther than the other ones I'm taling about. Across a creek through some thick mess in the snow. What a pain in the butt. That was a well placed shot and it just about ruined all the meat from the ribs on the exit side, but I'd rather see that than see a pin hole on the other side.

I think that the .300 performs better on bigger game and I would rather see a big hole that lets the air out of them than see hardly any hole at all. I think the best round to do that with is .308, good size exit on deer sized things.

I am shure there are people out there who have had better luck than me, and this year I'll be hunting deer again with the .300, but I'm using Barnes X so maybe I'll post my performance results in about 1.5 months. I'll bring the digital camera.

I have shot a couple deer with my 300 Win Mag too. I did lose some meat, but I was shooting 150 gr bullets at 3400 fps. I shot a nice buck at about 85 yds quartering away. I was hoping the bullet would blow the back shoulder to bits and drop him. It didn't, but the BT liquified the vitals. The buck ran 13 yds into a thicket and it took an hour to find him as there was no blood anywhere but where he was shot. Other deer shot later were all shot with Nosler Partitions, and with the high velocities, you still get massive trauma on the front shoulders from lung shots. I shot a doe with it at 500yds, and the bullet entered about an inch right of her anus. The bullet disentegrated her pelvis and lodged in her throat. I did not open the chest cavity on her to see the internal dmg, but suprsingly I lost very little meat, and what I did lose, it was not due to trauma but rather bone chips.

My learning curve was greatly increased after that. Shoot bigger bullets at more reasonable velocities or just shoot at longer ranges, and you won't lose the meat. IF you shoot at longer ranges, at least take the responsibility to have practiced at whatever range you will be shooting.

[ QUOTE ]
"my bullet blew right through", "I don't think it expanded at all", "despite no expansion the deer died instantly"

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see a contradiction here?

Brotha, that deer died instantly because that bullet expanded all the way. As in completely fragmented. You didn't get an exit hole cause there was no bullet left to create one.

Guys, I know this is going to stun some of you, but just because a bullet doesnt exit, or leaves a small exit hole, DOES NOT mean the bullet, "penciled" through, didn't expand, or failed in any way. Either one of two things happened. The bullet fragmented completly, or your shooting a Barnes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Troutslayer, those corelockt's didnt fail. They did exactly what they were desinged to do. Provide rapid expansion. If you want big exit wounds, or a lot of expansion, DONT shoot Barnes bullets. They are one of the toughest, if not the toughest bullets made. If you want big holes or deer that dont move after being shot shoot match bullets. Reference my last post and the pitures above. 308 class cartridges do not leave the biggest holes.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have any experience hunting with the hornady SST's? How do they perform on medium-skinned game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry Teo, is the man there I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.