Hunting in Hawaii--planning my honeymoon in May!

zupatun

I'm planning the honeymoon (getting married in May!) and we're probably going to Hawaii. My plans, aside from the obvious honeymoon activities, are to learn how to surf and get in a little hunting. I'm thinking boar, but I really don't know what opportunities are available, the costs, problems with shipping anything back etc...never been on a guided hunt before either. Anyhow, if anyone has any experience or knowledge that might help I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Matt Roth

P.S. I own several bows and .308winnie.

Matt- If you dont mind my asking what Island(s) are you planning to visit. If you plan to visit Oahu you are more than welcome to hunt Boar with us although we hunt them with Dog and Knife so its the complete opposite to long range hunting its extreme close range hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Aloha!!!

She wants a day at the Spa--think I'd rather be hunting myself....we have an arrangement. She thinks I'm crazy, but when in Rome--hunt boar!

Besides we may get caught in the Spa... so I'll just give her her privacy and take a day to go hunting.

We're planning a two-island trip. First three days on Maui and the second half in Kauwai. Is there a ferry from Kauai to Oahu? I might be able to take a day trip over to Oahu if the offer stands...but I think I'll have to buy a bigger knife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Any bow action? My longbow throws a pretty heavy arrow enough to stop a boar IMO.

Matt

BTW the hunt may just be a day of rest for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MattR,
Was there in maui 2 years ago but was unfortunate timing on my part for hunting. I went in November with my bride and the axis deer were losing there antlers. They told me late spring and on is better. Could have done a hog though. Very reasonable $600. They have rifles at the ranch you could use free of charge and shoot the rifle before going afield (308, 30-06, 270). I just looked in the yellow pages when I was there and called them. They seemed very accomodating, although I did not hunt. I think this is their web site. http://www.mauideerhunting.com/ We stayed in Napele Point?? We rented a house on Turtle Cove. Wish I could go agian. Good luck hunting. God bless you both in long happy life together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well I can't tell you about any hunting on Maui but I got married on Makena Surf beach in Maui. Congrats on the wedding and have a blast in MAui, it is a beautiful place

steve

I think there is boar and sheep hunting on Oahu, but the only island where I have seen actual "hunter sign-in stations" off the road, is on Kaua'i. I don't miss stuff like that. Without dogs, that will be some tough hunting, it's 90% steep mountains, inland.

Enjoy it while it lasts. If I made plans to hunt on my honeymoon, (or anniversary) my wife wouldn't get on the plane.

Good hunting. LB

Aloha Matt- The offer still stands if you make it over here we go every Saturday so that would be the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you will be in Maui in May it would be a good time to hunt Axis Deer as it is the beginning of the rut. There is some good hunting there had a friend there but he just moved to the Big Island sorry not much help there.

I got some friends in Kauai that may be willing to take you out when youre there keep in touch and let me know when youll be there and i'll give them a call to see if theyre available.

311190.JPG

An Axis Buck I got in June on Molokai

305745.jpg

A Boar we got recently with the dogs.

Aloha!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.