Hunting during college

Well, I guess that all depends on what you want to major in, I would think any of the schools in Idaho/Montana/EasternWashington and Oregon or if you like heat and similar animals Arizona/New Mexico would be fine PROVIDING the school offers the program your seeking a degree in. That's the KEY, a top flite school offering the degree you want to get....lots of eastern schools have great programs but totally different animals BUT they are in prime whitetail/turkey/bear hunting and some elk, if you can draw but you can spend lots of time shooting awesome photograph's that last a lifetime. Heck, I hunted all my fee time hunting under grad and graduate schools, as well as 35 years of professional work and hunted all the time, it can be done with ease, just pick the right program/school. I see your looking toward wildlife biology... Penn State has as fine a program as any school in the country but the animals as similar to Indiana except we have some of the best bear hunting on the planet and all literally in the backyard... Lots to consider before making a choice..think first !

And an amazing wrestling program!

Steve

I was once given the following advice. Everyone grows up wanting a cool job and one doing something you love. However, whatever your job is, in the end, it becomes a job. So, don't go out and try to get the best/coolest job, and then try to fit in the life/ hobbies etc. you want. figure out the life /hobbies you want including where you want to live and then find a job that allows you to do it. That advice made a big difference for me. I'm not saying you can't love the job and enjoy doing it, but alot of what you love about your job in the end will be that it allows you to live the life you want to live. for example, living in the country, being able to shoot, hunt, fish etc. close to home, evenings off to go to kids ball games , go fishing, riding quads, weekends off to enjoy church, camping, family time etc. living in a big city I'm sure there is alot more money to be made, but is it worth it? sorry this off original topic, but since your thinking about career paths I wanted to mention it. In idaho I believe you can hunt as a resident after 6 months but I'd check to be sure. Good luck in your decisions.

I completely agree with you. I'd rather make half as much and enjoy myself than work nonstop with no free time to enjoy the money I've made.

Like you I wanted to work outside and wouldnt even have considered an office job. During college I worked alot of outside, fairly fun jobs and by the end of the day, I was tired and ready to get out the sun. This is something to consider (that I would not have considered when I was in highscool) is an office job. After college I fell into an office job and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. At the end of the day my body wasn't tired and I found myself spending alot more time in the evenings and weekends fishing and hunting etc. and doing the things I love as a result. I had a highscool friend that went to montana tech in butte and those were some good days. I visited him often and we did a ton of fishing and hunting. he roomed with a guy that grew up in the area and we learned alot of good spots over those few years.

I am currently going to school at MSU in bozeman and love to hunt. My freshman year I spent in the dorms and they offer storage for your rifles at the front desk. The surrounding areas of bozeman have extremely good hunting, but you just have to put in the time and find them which can prove to be fairly difficult as a full time student. But as for having opportunities to hunt and that sort bozeman is definitely a school to check out.

Don't know about out west but when I was in school in Louisiana they offered an out of state student hunting license that was the same price as the resident license. All you had to do was print the form off and have someone with the school sign it, mail it off and about a month later it would show up.

Also on the gun storage, after a couple months there I had some really good friends that lived off campus. I just left my guns there the first year then moved in with them. Still hunt with them to this day.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.