Hunting Coyotes in North Carolina

Rustystud

I have successfully hunted coyotes in the west and in Canada.

I have killed a few coyotes in NC while deer hunting.

I hear coyotes calling at dawn and dusk from time to time.

I see their tracks and scat.

I have no luck calling them by mouth or electronically.

I have good success with steel traps catching them.

I feel that I must change my game plan and hunt them at night or over bait piles.

Is there anyone on this forum that consistently harvest coyotes during their outings?

What are their strategies or techniques to be successful on southeastern coyotes?

Nat Lambeth

I've hunted coyotes out west. The eastern coyote is a very different animal. Much more secretive and harder to hunt. The most successful way I've found is over a road killed deer at night. In the middle of winter, when foods harder to find, they camp out very close to a bait. Calling is also effective but the east has a lot more cover than the west and they are harder to spot. A coyote will often respond to your call and leave the area without you ever seeing it. If one spots you it will probably not respond again. They are very educated to humans. Your going to have to step up your game if you want to kill coyotes in the east. Don't be afraid to grab your shotgun and head to the thickets.

This works for me... The top one is a female (weighed 55 lbs) the bottom one is a male (weighed 70 lbs). Not like any other coyote I have seen. Both caught 3 days apart and back to back sets. 3 years ago here in North Carolina. They want come to the call but they will stay when the steel gets them.
Nat Lambeth

Attachments

• Coyote_2.jpg
    Coyote_2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 185
  • NC_Yote.JPG
    NC_Yote.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 168
The PA Game Commission denied for quite a while that the Eastern Coyote was a hybrid. Finally they did DNA studies only to confirm that the coyotes in PA were indeed a Red Wolf hybrid. Hunters suspected this for quite some time due to the size that are yotes get to.

I live in the suburbs of Allentown and just this morning I saw one in our yard as I was going into the sunroom for my morning coffee. Looked like a medium height German Shepard. Most likely it was trolling for the numerous rabbits that occupy our yard.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts