Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley...

adam32

Hey Guys,

My .243 AI should be finished this month, and I was planning on using the 105gr Bergers. But, now I'm thinking maybe the Wildcats, A-Maxs, or those D-Tacs I keep hearing about...

The rifle has a 1/8 Broughton on it.

It will be used for deer/coyote hunting from close range out to 500 or so.

Thanks

I have taken animals with both the 115 berger and the 115 dtac, both were taken between 400 and 500 yards. I really didnt see a difference in performance. Both were shot behind the shoulder and exited leaving golfball size wounds. I think either will work well for deer sized critters as long as you get it in the boiler room. The 105 bergers will probably work well also, but I have never tried them.

I have taken animals with both the 115 berger and the 115 dtac, both were taken between 400 and 500 yards. I really didnt see a difference in performance. Both were shot behind the shoulder and exited leaving golfball size wounds. I think either will work well for deer sized critters as long as you get it in the boiler room. The 105 bergers will probably work well also, but I have never tried them.

Would the 115's stabilize in a 1/8?

Would the 115's stabilize in a 1/8?

I just tried some of these this week and they wouldn't stabilize in my 1/8 Krieger. Couldn't hit a 2' square target at 100yds:eek:

We've had really good luck with the 105 Bergers and have taken quite a few deer/antelope with excellent results.

The 8 twist is right on the verge of stabilizing the 115s, some barrels will some will not. I had one 8 twist pac-nor that would stabilize the 115s at around 3100, and have a buddy shooting them in his f-class rifle with an 8. To be safe I would use a 7.5 for 115s or the new 111s, but since you already have an 8 I would just try the 115s and see.

If you do not have any I would be glad to mail you a few to try, if you do not mind shooting moly, you might get lucky. I know I had about 15 left in a box of 500 when I loaded up for my last match. I could probably scrounge up a few more 115 dtacs from other boxes. They are yours if you want them. PM me an address and I will mail them to you. I probably have a few of an old lot of the bergers also. I dont mix lot numbers when loading for matches so I end up with a few strays that will gather dust.

BTW I do not think you can go wrong with the 105 bergers, they shoot very very well if you find the right lots.

+1 on the 105's....I have taken 3 deer and 2 antelope out to 650yds with the 105's in my 243AI. I am pushing them right at 3300fps. We did some work with the 115's earlier this week and couldn't get them to stabilize as Jesse said in the above post. All of the deer and antelope fell where they were standing...high shoulder shots... and the bullets had about a 1" exit hole. I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all.

Nervous about excesive BBL wear.

My 22-250AI has a 8" twist . With less then 500 rnds through it its showing serious throat erosion.My 6x284 has a 10" twist with I bet 800 rnds through it and its has some erosion but its still shooting good. But if I re-barrel with a 8" twist isn't that going to shorten barrel life?

The Wildcat bullets I've tried were the 110 and 115 flat base and they blew up in my 6x284 with fairly light load. I don't remember right now what I had them loaded at but they were all dust right out of the barrel.

The Wildcat bullets I've tried were the 110 and 115 flat base and they blew up in my 6x284 with fairly light load. I don't remember right now what I had them loaded at but they were all dust right out of the barrel.

Wow, that seems odd. Have you tried any of the RBBT's?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.