Hunting Ammo

z3ro

So as per my other post, i have a 7mm-08 marlin rifle that id love to take hunting for some big game (elk & deer). Now, i've found 140 grain winchester for deer that is readily available. My question is; is there some different form of ammo i can use to "beef up" the round for elk? Hollowpoints, higher grain, etc? The highest grain i've found for that caliber is 150 grain federal.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

If I were going to hunt elk with a 7mm-08 I would load up some 160 grain Barnes TSX's, or some 160 Nosler Accubonds, or some 160 garins Nolser partitions. However, after looking over what is offered from my usual places I found that you are correct when it comes to factory ammo, the heaviest bullets that are offered are 150 grains.

If you are going to hunt elk with a 7mm-08 and factory ammo, I think that you have some good ammo to choose from. Federal offers 140 Barnes TSX, 140 Nosler Partitions, and 140 Nosler Accubond. you should choose the one that shoots best out of your gun and you will have a load that will take an elk at a reasonable distance(300) yards are so. Hornadys new Super Ammo with the GMX bullets is also another choice that should do the job.

I agree with SMM, get a good 140gr bullet from the makers, like the Accubond, Partition, TSX or whatever. See which one groups well, then practice with them some at range. The 140gr bullet will do the job, but you need to get that bullet in the ribs. 7-08 is a great round, should be easy enough to get it to shoot one of the many available loads well. Looks like Federal, Nosler, Cor Bon and a bunch of others have a good selection of premium bullets. Scotty

I think it would be a fine load. It may not be as "tough" as the Accubonds or TSX, but I believe it is still a Speer Hot Cor bullet, and I have had good luck with them. Your 7-08 isn't pushing them really fast, so I suspect your bullet performance would be great. Plus, it is a budget priced round, so you will get more time behind the gun for practice. Ultimately, I would let the rifle pick the bullet it wants to shoot. I would at least try three different loads and see which one stands out. If they are all the same, pick the least expensive and go hunting. Scotty

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.