Hunt

rwk

What state would a old fart with a few replacement parts have a chance to hunt elk.

Harperc, next year- guided- new york. New hips- bad heart and copd. I'm in good shape. Rich

Me no knees, fused neck, a guided horseback worked for me. Does your COPD bother you to fly-commercial flights last I heard pressurize to about 8000'. So if your breathing acts up at altitude that might shape your thinking. Next year-if you haven't got preference points to draw that will also eliminate some states, and some better units in some states. I'd make sure include BC, and Alberta in the mix. BC guide and outfitter puts out the Mountain Hunter magazine it has a lot of info on guides there. Pretty liberal use of ATV's and vehicles there. The only elk guide/area I know first hand is in Wyoming, and is an area that requires points to draw. Some of the Canadian units the elk tag can be a moose tag as well.

There are a bunch of areas in Colorado that don't require any preference points and have guided hunts. I have never used a guide, so I will leave that to others who have, but if you do some research you should be able to find some good ones. I would be sure to get a bunch of references from any guide you are considering, and make sure those include people who were both successful and not successful in their hunt. I would also talk to the guides ahead of time to make sure you inform them of your health and make sure that the hunting situations they put you in will be adequete to what you can do.

I would also look into New Mexico. There are some of the ranch hunt set up for those who can not run up and down the mountains.

There are a bunch of areas in Colorado that don't require any preference points and have guided hunts. I have never used a guide, so I will leave that to others who have, but if you do some research you should be able to find some good ones. I would be sure to get a bunch of references from any guide you are considering, and make sure those include people who were both successful and not successful in their hunt. I would also talk to the guides ahead of time to make sure you inform them of your health and make sure that the hunting situations they put you in will be adequete to what you can do.
Good thoughts, it doesn't have to be terrible. I went with guys that got me my Mt. Goat after I was certain those days were over. Everybody just needs to know whats up ahead of time. There are some great guides out there helping people of all abilities fulfill dreams.

I agree with the New Mexico suggestion. If you don't draw you can still pick up a landowners tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.