hsm 168vld

Looking forward to hearing your range results. I am going to be ordering some 168vld's from hsm for my 7mm STW.

Greg,

What distance?

What was the wind like?

How many did you shoot?

What was the group size?

Did you also shoot a group of core-lokt's on the same day under the same conditions?

When did you last clean your barrel?

--richard

Hey richard no wind,100 yds barrel clean had 4 hornadys to foul. They started out high but worked down. Then shot 3 vlds bout 8inches high dialed down shot 2 inch group

2 MOA isn't exactly what you were looking for. So, I'm curious what happened. Perhaps it just doesn't like that ammo.

Did you start out 8" high because your scope won't hold zero? Or, did you forget to dial it back down from 600yds?

Did the Hornady's group ok? Or, were you still moving the sights around?

If you get one on paper with a good scope, then the second shot should be exactly where you want it.

Was your barrel getting hot?

What do you think was going on?

--richard

If it were me, I would foul my barrel with the same round as I was trying to use to group. The different jacket material could be causing poor groups (or your gun may not like them), but to be certain, clean your barrel of all fouling, and re-foul your barrel with the bergers. Could bring some consistency to your shooting.

good luck

...and, don't make ANY scope adjustments.

...just patiently shoot a couple of 3-5 shot groups with a solid bench or prone rest.

my opinion is that hsm seats the bullets so deep for liability reason and to work in alot of guns.. Try and pull a few out to mag length, or quite aways if you have a puller. Bergers hate to be jumped to far.
If you have the tools to do that correctly, then you need to handload.

Otherwise, you're going from bad to worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.