HS Precison Stock

barm

I have a Remington 700 LSS in 270 Winchester. It has a sporter weight 24" barrel. I plan to replace the stock and use it primarily for prone shooting in fields. I am looking at 2 different stocks, the sporter thumbhole or the vertical grip which looks like an A5. The vertical grip will have a large gap between it and the barrel. If I ever rebarrel I'm not sure I would go with a full bull to take advantage of the wide barrel channel. I've only owned one thumbhole and it was nice to shoot, but I have not had my hands on the HS version. Like I said earlier, I'll probably use it for prone shooting, but I may carry it through the woods as well. Which would you choose and why?

I would think it would be what ever feels best to you. If your worried about the gap in the channel you can always use the bedding material with the stuff that keeps arrow feathers dry and it mixes up pretty light so you can fill it, and that can be opened back up later if you do go to a larger contour.

I never liked carrying thumbholes through the field, I carry all of my rifles at the low ready except when I am making my way through the tundra when they are slung. Also I can't seem to get my wrist in the right position with thumbholes. I have two a-5 stocks and I am able to keep my wrist low where I like it. The other thing you want to look at though is the forend of the stock. The stocks with the squared off forend get mighty uncomfortable in the hand and cut off the bloodflow to your fingers in the cold months. The best advice I could give you is to get into various positions with the stocks you are thinking of purchasing or something at least similar and get a feel for them yourself. I tell you what though, nothing beats an A-5 in the prone

Learning,

Thank you for the suggestion, if I go with the A5 style I'll probably leave the barrel channel alone even though it would look strange.

Alaskan338Lapua,

I'll have to find out about the forend, I'm not sure whether it is squared or rounded. BTW, I also love your governor :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.