HS precision stock off PSS

Sidesy

i love the rigidity of the stock but becoming uncomfortable with the large palm swell. Has anyone ever dremelled / machined this area down to make it easier to grip or, is it just a case of selling ? Gary

yes they are one very stiff stock!!! the plastic remington stock that came on my sps-v was so bad, depending on how i held it in my shoulder i could make the bullet move 3" at only a 100 yards. my re-used PSS stock in no way does that!! the palm swell, i guess i am kind of used to it..
and sanding you do will just remove the nice factory coating, and not a real issue..
the guy i got my stock from did a camo job on it and in my removing it the factory black just in not the same.. so i tired a couple of time to paint and did like how they looked either, and the smell of the paint was always there???
not sure what else to try?

Is that part of the stock solid? I would make a call to HS Precision and find out if that part of the stock was solid fill first. That would be really bad to find out later it's hollow.

thats a very good point - knowing my luck it would be hollow ! good call B23, thanks, Gary

i'm just a little gutted to hear Stocky doesnt ship his stocks to the UK

got it, you want to almost re-shape the palm swell to fit your hand better. then yes if you cut into it like that you may have to re-fiberglass that section again. i have a feeling the inside of the stock has a foam core. H-S has a place on there site to ask questions.

I don't know this for sure but I kinda have a hunch it's hollow and not solid.

That palm swell is something people either love or hate. My guess is people with large hands probably like it alot and those with medium or smaller hands hate it.

i think its made so both a right and left handed shooter still have a palm swell.
compared to the plastic stock that came on my sps-v its great!! no matter how i hold it in my shoulder i can't change the bullets flight. the factory stock i could change it by 3" at just 100 yards.
H-S e-mailled be back about a question i had on my stock and they were fast..

Here I thought I was the only one with the same issue! I have a Remington 700 with the exact same stock. I purchased it because it was highly recommended by a good friend of mine. Everything was spot-on, except for the stock...I do not like the swell either. I thought about taking my dremel to it, but chickened out (it is expensive). Lately I've been looking at a Manners TC-5A which looks really comfortable, but I'd hate to get it and not like it either. Have you ever seen the stock engineered by MAJ. Plaster (Ret.)? It looks cool, but when I held one, that gentleman must have HUGE hands! If I decide to dremel it out some, I'll let you know how it turns out - that is if I don't find another stock I prefer and sell the old one.:D

Thanks Alex. Your NOT on your owner brother believe me. :)
I'm after a bobby hart stock from Stockys but they dont export to UK....i'm gutted to think its perfect and i cant get hold of one........
I wish i had some relations in the US. I must book a holiday and bring one back
ATVB, Let me know how you get on

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.