HS Pre Stock Alter??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by hnts4fun, Oct 27, 2010.

1. hnts4fun

hnts4fun Well-Known Member

I need to take an inch or more off my HS Precision stocked Sendero. The gun shoots extremely well for a friend of mine who happens to have a longer wingspan than me. I'm not sure what I'll find when I cut the end of the stock off; but I suspect I'll find a void. My plan is to carefully fit a piece of wood into the void to act as a solid foundation for mounting a new recoil pad. Prior to mounting the pad, I would drill a hole through the center of the "block" and shoot in some expandable foam, of the hardware store variety, to fill the void. Finally, I would fit and mount a new recoil pad in the same way I would to a wood stock.

Any pitfalls to this idea? Any suggestions on how to do it better?

I'm an HS precision stock fan. Ultimately I think I will add and take from this stock until it fits me perfectly; or as well as possible. It may be ugly when I'm done but with various spray finishes available, most folks won't notice the alterations. In the end I'll actually have a better idea of dimensions in case I move on to a better stock.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Matt

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Hey Matt, that recoil pad is epoxied on. If there's room in the deep freeze you might put it in there for a couple of hours and then try to knock it off. You could, also, cut it off where the pad meets the stock with a band saw or carefully by hand. Then try a 1/2" pad instead of the factory original which is 1" thick. 1/2" can make alot of difference. The base will be solid there where you won't have to fill it. Screw it on for a temp attachment to see how it fits you. Then adjust as necessary from there. Once you cut an inch off there's no putting it back on!

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

+1

I would try this first, It could save a lot of work.

J E CUSTOM

4. hnts4fun

Thanks Ted and JE,

I appreciate your comments. What about the inside of the stock...hollow?

Matt

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Most are, but Just knock on it with your knuckles and you can tell (It will sound hollow) if it is.

J E CUSTOM

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I've never been further back than about a 1/2" from the std. 13 1/2" L.O.P. and they are solid enough to drive a screw. I've ordered 2 or 3 with shorter than std. and they were solid there , too. I don't trust the wood screws that come with alot of pads so I make sure both the back of the pad & stock are as true and sq. as possible. I next locate the screw holes and use those screws to mark the spot. I drill holes big enough to accept those "green anchors w/grooves that run length wise that are 1/2" to 3/4" long" (I've used these in concrete and other solid building materials, very common, made of plastic) and MarineTex them in. Fit the pad, screw it on using a small amount of MarineTex (not much, you don't want to try to clean any off the finish) just for insurance. They stay put.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. hnts4fun

Thank you both for sharing your experiences.

Matt

8. hnts4fun

shortgrass, I sent you an e-mail. BTW I stopped by your web site and you do some mighty fine work!

Matt

9. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

I just happen to be putting a better recoil pad a Sendero stock right now. The pad is glued and screwed on. I took the screws out, put the stock in the deep freeze over night and with one good smack with a dead blow hamme rit popped right off. Here's what it looks like underneath.

[​IMG]

10. hnts4fun

Kevin

Many thanks...a picture truly is worth a thousand words!

Matt