HP bullet question

j4824

Im probably posting this in the wrong spot... but its a reloading/shooting question. I have been trying to shoot a 1 MOA group at 300 yrds. Im finally there but here is the question...

Im shooting/reloading Berger 168 HPBTs. I have noticed and payed not that much attention to the fact that some of the bullets have a slopped nose... as in... not perfectly flat.

My question is.. with that effect my accuracy at long ranges??

thanks,

You can buy tools to uniform/point meplats. I suppose the question is if you can currently shoot better than your bullets?

Well, I would like to think that I can.. :) but the question is.. does it affect accuracy? :)

The meplats on most factory HPBT bullets out of the box are not uniform.

You can detect this most of the time with the naked eye.

This includes Bergers.

Yes. It affects accuracy. But, not a whole lot. This is one reason for the spin that's imparted to the bullet by your rifling twist. Most Bergers are good for 1/4 MOA or better out of the box.

Some people trim and uniform theirs which can lower the BC, but may lead to better consistency. If you don't really know what you're doing, you can ruin the bullets. This is especially true of hunting bullets.

There are lots of things to do to improve accuracy before you start trimming meplats.

-- richard

Just as Richard mentioned earlier when the jackets a swagged (pulled) it produceds an inconsistent meplat, but even with that I have shot single digit 5 shot groups at 1k without touching the meplats but if they are uniformed they will shoot tighter and more consistent but you will not notice a difference 800yards and closer, the meplats are not your problem, if you cannot shoot a 3" group at 300 you have other, (bigger) problems, possibly a horrible ES like 50+ fps, a free flotimg issue, neck tension issue or your rifle just doesn't like your case bullet, powder, primer combo and most of these things won't show up at 100yrds. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.