How's this for parts?

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by JauntyMorel, Feb 28, 2010.

1. JauntyMorel

JauntyMorel New Member

I am in the process of aquiring parts for my first custom rifle and was wondering what you guys thought.:D I will be built of a trued remington model 7 action, a rock creek stainless barrel #3 contour, timney trigger, and hopefully a Mcmillan hunters EDGE stock. I want to cerakote the whole thing and mount it with a Leupy VX-3 2.5-8x33mm and talley rings and bases. I hope that hill country rifles will do the work, unless someone else is better for cheaper?
    It will be chambered in .250 savage ackley improved, which isn't a really long range caliber but.....in my opinion a classic.:D Any suggestions on any parts? Im shooting for (pun intended) a roughly 6.5# rifle, and if it's closer to 7 its no big deal. So really kind of a pointless post, but i thought i would share.:rolleyes:

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good choice of parts for the 250 savage.

I'm not sure I would wildcat it because it is a great deer round Just like it is.

If you want more than the standard 250 offers the 260 rem would be a good alternative
    and bullet selection is much better.

But if you wan't a 250 then by all means go for it , you wont be sorry .

Just an opinion
    J E CUSTOM

3. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

I went with a lilja #2 on my backpack rifle but a number 3 shouldn't be much heavier. I'd like to recommend Rich Reilly of htcustoms (high tech customs) for a lightweight build. He did an amazing job on mine. There are many great rifle makers on this site as well and I think Shawn Carlock builts lightweight. I'm sure Kirby Allen would do a great job too, he's building my current long range rifle.

Sounds like a great and fun build. Post pics when it's done.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Nice list of components. Best of luck with the build and post some pics once complete.

5. tjbill

tjbill Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about rebuilding my Model 7 and making it a 6.5X47 Lapua. Do a search on this cartridge - pretty impressive. Best of luck and keep us updated!