Howdy from Western Oklahoma

shortgrass

Howdy Gang, I go by shortgrass from the Southern plaines of Western Oklahoma. I'm lookin' for a place where civility is still encourged. Just left a place that's been taken over by a know it all. I know a bit about rifles, but know there's always more to learn. I'm not a total 'nob', though. Been shooting for most of my life and over the last 17yrs. or so been enjoying custom built rifles.

Thanks for the 'welcome' winmag. I can tell by your user name what you enjoy. The name 'shortgrass' comes from the shortgrass prairie, the native grass only gets to be about 3 ft. tall in the area where I live. We've got pleanty of varmints here, coyotes and bob cats. Used to have lots of prairie dogs but farming has done them in. 50 -75 miles west of here they are still plentiful. Now, on the 'tall grass' prairie the grass gets to 6 or 7 ft. I enjoy varmint rifles, usuall 6mm or 22 centerfires, I also have great admiration for the 6.5mm for their high ballistic's and long range capabilities in the hands of a 'shooter'.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Nice Ive never seen the prarrie up close. Never strayed past the edge of the Rockies, exept once in Texas and Ive been south of the Rockies in Arizona, and Nevada. I get a strange feeling I dont belong when I cant see a real mountain close by, but someday Ill see the prarrie. Ive hered alot about it, and had relitives in Kansas till the mid 1800's when they came to Oregon. My wife has Grandparents in Eufalla Ok. Ive never met them, but we plan on taking a trip in the next year or two. Besides, I wanna see some of the finest horseflesh on the planet, and you Ok boys have that one about cornered.:D
Good huntin to ya.

If there was a count taken, we my find that there's at least one horse for every person in the state. I've been to the Rockies, North and South, always found them awe inspiring. A close, old friend of mine and I were on a short trip to Amarillo to a gunshow about a year ago. As you travel west on I-40 the lay of the land changes between the Ok/Tx state line and the city of Amarillo, it flattens out even more, w/ fewer canyons and the grass gets even shorter. As we crossed into that area he commented, " Ya' know, I get nervous, if ya' know what I mean, when I get away from the Western Plaines of Oklahoma for very long". I looked at him and said, " I thought I was the only one got that feeling!". How well does the old saying, "Home is where the heart is", fit. And how true that saying is, wherever home may be! I'm sure you've seen the movie "Lonesome Dove". The land where 'Blue Duck' and those Kiowa were camped reminds me of this area alot. Grassland and deep canyons ,cut by the weather, passable only on foot or horse back. Most anything larger, like a wagon, if you got it to the bottom of the canyon in one piece , you probobly wouldn' get it out! Nice to hear from Ya'!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.