How'd you get interested in LRH???

Re: How\'d you get interested in LRH???

Brent and Ric

I am in the midst of writing my response to this great topic and I am going to post it in a separate topic because of its significance to this site's formation and because the pictures included wil slow down this about-to-become-very-long thread.

I don't have a great story like some of you other guys do, for me it's just been a gradual transition.

I had always been a factory load and rifle hunter, never caring or questioning my gear.

Then I got into reloading, I baught a Sako 6PPC varminter and started visiting a range.

I worked up my first loads for a coyote hunt in Canada and from then on I was hooked.

I quickly found I was getting .2MOA groups from that rifle and my shots in the field got longer and longer, having plotted the drop on my reticle then checking it.

I don't need to shoot LR, I just like to when I can set it up properly.

I started looking for a way to build a custom LR rifle in .308 for starters but found I was very limited by the laws here so I ended up with a HS Precision HTR which I have yet to shoot.

The scope should be here any moment and I am settin gup gongs out to 100m on my place...

I'll fill you all in later.

grin.gif

I started about 4 years ago at a local 500 yard shoot, after takeing a W.A.G. at how much adjustment to make i ended up hitting the bullseye the first five shots, after that i was hooked.

Good afternoon all,

I first got into long range hunting while hunting the Blacktail deer,not your tipical open range hunting. Most of what you read about them says you have to hunt the thickest stuff you can find. But my dad and I started hunting the semi open canyons of western Oregon about 16 years ago and noticed our success rates go way up!

My first long range experiance was when I was 14 years old,we had hunted these large canyons all season and finally spotted a nice buck on the hill across from us,I was shooting my 300 win mag topped off with a leupold 3.5-10.

After trying to get closer we realized there was no way to get a shot from anywere other than were we were. So after carefuly picking a good rest and estimating the distance I took what I felt was a good shot. My dad was spotting for me and noticed (due to snow on the ground) that the shot fell just below the buck. So after rethinking our distance I took my second shot,this time the buck fell for good.

And that was all it took,I have been hooked on long range hunting ever since. I still try to get closer before a shot if possible, but its nice to know the ability to take game at longer distances is there if needed. A few years ago we picked up a range finder and wanted to know the exact distance of that shot years ago. It ranged at 678 yds.
I know this is not extream by any means but for a kid it was a long ways.

I know looking back it was a lot of luck for a kid of that age but it turned out OK in the end and has opend up a whole other world of hunting for me.

I would never suggest someone shooting at game for their first long range experiance, but with lots of practice it can be a lot of enjoyment.

Rob
grin.gif

Hey PAHunter-- congrats on your 1st LR deer-- you want some advice? Here it is-- make this your new classroom-- study all the previously posted stuff under the search menu, and you will have the theory down-- your labs will then be a self-study program out in the field, and at the range and reloading bench-- good luck, and let us know how it goes.

[ 03-19-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

[ 03-19-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

HAHA thanks for the advice
grin.gif
Ive been doin a lot of reading on this site in the evenings and ive learned alot.

It started for me this last fall Out.25th when I had a shot at a 6x6 Bull elk at a lasered 575yds.

I had a Rem model 7 300saum shooting 165gr cor/lok's. Top side I had mounted a new VXII 4x12 Leupold with a drop in sator that I can adjust my cross hairs out to 600yds.

I had started mid summer doing some rock shooting out to 600yds. Shot about 100rds thru the summer at rocks useing the laser along with the drop in sator,and if I did my part I could do good out to 600yds.

I deer hunted first off and took a nice 5x5 Mule deer buck @265yds which seemed close after shooting rocks out to 600yds during the summer.

Next, it was time for elk. Opening day found me at first light glassing across a canyon at 5 bull elk. Two 6x6's and three 5x5's. I used the laser and came up with something like 663yds.

I passed on a shot,wanting to hold my shots if I had to shoot longer range to 600yds and under with the set up I had on that rifle at the time. I pasted on a 50yd rag horn a few days latter. Then on the last week in headed up to the canyon where I had seen the 5 bull on opening day.

Again at first light, I glassed 3 bulls one 6x6 and two 5x5's. This time they lasered 575yds. I went prone after a turn on my yardage nob to 575yds. I picked the largest bull and aimed behind the shoulder ,ajusted for a slight wind and fired.

That shot was the longest shot I have ever taken on a game animal. I made it, at the shot he ran about fifty yds into some timber and piled up. It's the longest shot I have ever taken on anything.

I now have a 24inch barreled 300WSM and had load a 165gr Sierra game king HPBT and it shoots great but may try the Sierra 175 gr match king with a higher B.C. of around 505.

So I'm thinking for as far as game hunting go'es myself, I will stay where I'm at and if need be on long shots stay at 600 and under. If I feel the need to go beyound that I'll get a differant outfix and shoot rocks,paper and varmint's. Thanks Outlaw.

[ 03-19-2004: Message edited by: Outlaw from Idaho ]

Two years ago in Wyoming I made a shot on a speed goat at 410yds, it was the last day of the hunt and I just could not get any closer as the lay of the land was not conducive to stalking. So I set up the bipod, lasered him and made the calculations in my head(WAG) and fired, perfect hit and he went down.
I was instantly hooked, but realized the shot was all luck. So off I went on my journey to learn the trade of LRH, I feel I am still learning and really am not comfortable past 600yds but I am getting there. Longest shot to date is 600 yards on another WyoGoat and 425 on a 4x4 mulie this last year, as well as several PD's past 400 with as AR15.
Currently shooting a 300WM and an awesome 6.5X284 that Chris Matthews built, can't wait to get the load development done on that beauty and unleash her on goats and deer this year!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.