Howa... What reputation do they have?

superlite17

Hello everyone, and thank you for your help. In doing research to find the right varmint rifle, I have come accross Howa. I have never heard of the brand before, however I have heard that they manufacture a lot of other company's rifles. In looking, i have seen some beautiful specimens. Can anyone speculate on their quality and mainly accuracy. Also comments on trigger, chambering, etc

Thanks all, in advance! - Rod

As an adder, I have asked what are to many/most of you, "simple" questions. I am just learning what I can, right now in the pre-purchase phase, brand related questions. And, as of now, have no real loyalty.

I am getting some comments that in summary "buy the dam*? gun, have fun, and quit asking so many questions. Please, I know these are basic questions, but if you dont like it DONT CLICK ON IT! If you don't have anything to offer on topic, don't comment! Pass it over.

Sorry about that, but I am getting it on some of my questions... and once the negatives start the topic stops. Anyway for those who are so generous with their help, THANK YOU I NEED IT! Once i get it, digest it, as i can i will give others the time and help you are giving me.

I have one in 308, I shot a .75" inch, 200 yard, 3 shot group with it this morning. I bought it as a barreled action, bought a McMillan stock, had it "accurized", I'm very happy with it.

Superlight,
Howa does a great job of building rifles - best way to prove that to yourself is to buy one, shoot it a lot and enjoy it. Look at the Howas and also the Weatherby Vanguards. Howa has a unique thing going with a Knoxx stock that eats up recoil very successfully.

When you say barrelled action, you mean litterally a barrel and action right? They come together? Where do you go to get somthing like that? I am starting to see that might would be the way to go. Do you get to save the cost of the stock?
You chose specifically to have that action and barrel, was it cost or the quality that made you choose? Are they awesome, average or what?

Thank you so much for your help, PLEASE keep spoon feeding me this info, Im thinking of doing the exact thing you did.

Thanks - Rod

Ian, to some it would seem i am beating a dead horse with this research but I have just gone through a HANDFULL OF BAD shooters subscribing to your theory of "prove it to myself, go shoot'em up and have a good time". It has been costly in rigs ranging $639 on up to a little over $1200. Now I'm gettin it from a bunch of guys who have bought the rigs and used them a lot.

For what it's worth,Howa is a fine rifle based on a 1500 action,used at one time in the 80's to make a run for S&W,EVERY 1500 I have owned are shoot have been shooters,all but one,it was a 300wsm in SS,it shoot like a 3in at 100,it went back to the Co,and the one they sent back shoot .778 at 100 with Win 180,you can't go wrong with them.Some people love them,some hate them everyone has there own opinion,buy it,shoot it and you will see,the only thing I would say that is a down side to the whole gun is the trigger,they are a bear to get right,they are 6 to 8 lbs for the factory and they can be set and are ok,but take it to a good gunsmith that has done them before are replace it and you will have and great rifle,good luck and try one you will like it.....

The Howa's have been around for years, formally they made S&W 1500 and Weatherby Vanguards. Now imported by Legacy Sports who imports the barreled actions and then adds Boyd's stocks. You can buy the barreled action only but you will find the complete gun is a better buy. In my opinion they are better finished then Savage but not as good as Remington. The trigger can be adjusted by yourself with a little patience down to about 3lbs. I justed posted the instruction on how to do it in the General Discussion forum. I found the accuracy to be very good.

If you go to legacysports.com you will see barreled actions and complete rifles listed. Your dealer can get you a barreled action just like he can a rifle. When I bought mine, the only stock options were black synthetic or the laminated varmint one. I didn't like either one, and I knew I wanted a McMillan. I think there are other stocks available now, so a complete rifle might be a better idea. The triggers are a pain, but instructions have been posted. When I bought the gun I was wanting a custom rifle, but I couldn't justify spending $2000. So my gunsmith suggested a Howa barrelled action. It worked out good, I spent about $900, but I'm still thinking about replacing it with a Remington!

I have an Interarms MarkX which I "think" is a Howa in 7RM. It doesn't shoot worth a darn but it has a buggy whip for a barrel. I was thinking about selling it but I have changed my mind and now am going to have it rebarreled into a big thumper gun, probably 416 Taylor. I have shot or know of about six different Howa/Vangaurd/S&W rifles and mine is the ONLY one that wasn't a shooter.

Superlight, you seem a little like me, when I am planning on doing something/anything I ask every concieveable question to anyone who will listen so I have a perfect picture in my head on whatever it is. I also get a lot of the, "Just go ahead and do..." Sometimes that is the correct/best answer, only you will know for yourself though. Usually for me it isn't.

Good luck.

HGpMedium.jpg

Nwifle.jpg

I'm kinda happy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.