Howa rifles

ldhunter101

I am looking to get a new coyote rifle. I was looking at the howa rifles. Ive been hearing mixed opinions from people. What do you guys think? I was looking to get it in 243 or 270. Your guys opinions would be really appreciated. Thanks

Howa's are good... 243 would be enough for coyotes and deer... if you are not going to be shooting a lot or if you are going to reload then the 270 would not cost a whole lot more to shoot.

I think the Howa/Vanguard is one of the better deals available, good action, great adjustable trigger, most I've played with are very "hunting" accurate. The stock is the only draw back, but easily replaced if you need to.

Hi, I run the 243 with the heavy varmint barrell, & find it excellent. I am in Australia shooting foxes I admit but would imagine that both pests would be similiar. The rifle has the swarovski 6-25x50 Z5 scope and is good for 200 to 650 metres consistently. I would recommend it.

They're excellent in my experience right out of the box. With some work/upgrades they are fantastic.

The only thing to remember is that the twist rates are slow on their factory barrels. They are twist rates for the masses who shoot standard bullets weights and not the LR heavy bullets that a lot of LR guys want to shoot. So you need to be aware of that going into it. Depending on how far you want to shoot and what bullet you want to use will give you a better idea of whether the factory barrels will work.

Scot E.

Scot e, you are absolutely spot on with your comments regarding ammo. With my 243, remington factories were noisey, smockey and only reasonably accurate. A friend of mine created different loads and the ideal combination is remington case, winchester standard primer, 43 grns 209 powder, 87 grain Vmax projectile with overall length of 68 mm. the level of accuracy increase is mindblowing

I seen a new one in 22-250 with the hogue over molded stock and a Nikko Stirling scope. It looked good and pointed good. It was 650$. However I've never shot one. Looks good though.

Would you consider a 22-250 or is .243 your bottom line??

I had a friend who bought a Howa 22-250 in Snow Camo with a heavy barrel package-deal last winter. I did the break-in, sight-in and drop data for him. I was impressed with the accuracy shooting Wal-Mart Winchester 45 gr. loads. His first time out with me after that he was blowing up Gatorade bottles to 500 yards, and it was his first time ever shooting over 200 yds. :D :D

Recent Posts